It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Crummy keepers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:42 am 

Grey was kind enough to weigh in on this question in the comments for today's Sonny Gray post, but I thought I'd also ask the larger Razz community for their thoughts.

In a 12-team mixed 5x5 roto, I can keep six from a team without a single first-round player. Still, while none of my keepers are no-brainers, I do have nine guys worth considering. They are:

Posey, Carpenter, Choo, Puig, Desmond, Machado, Wainwright, Jose Fernandez, and Kimbrel.

I'm hoping to bait some keeper-weak leaguemates into 2-for-1 or 3-for-2 trades to end up with a better top six. Who should I deal? Grey says he wouldn't keep Carpenter, Machado or Kimbrel. Whether to keep closers is a whole separate discussion. I see Kimbrel as the rare closer who's a four-category contributor, basically 1/3 of a season of Kershaw. Still, assuming that Grey knows better than I do, would you guys also try to package those three players with Choo and Jose Fernandez for better top-6 keepers?

Post subject: Re: Crummy keepers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:59 pm 

Puig is a must keep, young guy still with high potential.
Posey had a down season, but still good at catcher.
Desmond has good numbers across the board for SS.
Fernandez is great at pitcher.
I like Choo now with Texas, even if he struggles against LHP.
I think Machado has to be a keeper. still just 21 years old, and still improving. I've seen comparisons to a young Alex Rodriguez when he was in Seattle.

I don't think Kimbrel is worth keeping over those you already have. Kimbrel could be an option for someone else if you can trade him.

I'm also not that high on Wainwright. great numbers in 2013 and if he was consistent like that he would be a more secure keeper, but if he has numbers like he did in 2012 he's not worth being a keeper. if Wainwright is to be a top choice to keep, I would take out Choo or even Posey before I took out someone like Machado.