It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Roster help: I've got too many RPs and am weak at 2B/SS.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:17 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Hello Grey, fellow Razzballers, and my spying league mates (I know who you are!):

On the second team below (the one with the 1300-inning cap), I find myself very thin at 2B/SS (no M.I. slot, just 2B and SS)and with too many RPs (saves are very highly valued in this league and I've had success in the past grabbing would-be closers and if they start getting saves trading an extra closer later for a bat or SP I need later on). I also lost Greinke, so I'm worried about starting pitching.

OK, my questions:

1) I have too few hitters as a result of carrying so many relievers. Seems like I could drop 1 or 2 of these RPs, maybe upgrading in one case to a reliever on wavers (Mujica, Pestano, Melancon -- I'm assuming Mujica's the guy to target there) and a hitter. Which 1, 2, or maybe even 3 RPs would you suggest dropping? And would you upgrade with Mujica, Pestano, or Melancon for one of them?

2) Does the 2B/SS situation seem worrisome to you? Now with Espinosa out a few days, especially, seems like I could use an extra bat between those two positions. But there's not much on waivers (assuming I end up with the extra roster spot after Question 1). Here are the possibilities: Sogard, Valdespin, Izturis, Tyler Green, Getz, Ellis, Brandon Crawford, Cozart. Are any an upgrade over Bonifacio at 2B, Rutledge at SS, and Espinosa back later in the week?

3) If none of the 2B/SS options are worthwhile, is picking up an extra bat irregardless of position a good idea? Options: M. Adams, Nava, Schilerholtz, Venable, Josh Donaldson, Yadier Alonso.

4) Or could I just keep an "open" roster spot to stream pitchers or hitters as needed?

4) SPs on waivers include Capuano, Bud Norris, Villanueva. Are any an upgrade over what I've got here?

5) Any general advice?

Many thanks, Grey, everyone else! I appreciate the advice.

1B/OF Adrian Gonzales, Chris Carter
2B Aaron Hill
2B/OF Emilio Bonifacio
2B/SS Josh Rutledge
3B Miguel Cabrera
3B/SS Eduardo Nuñez
OF Adam Jones, Shin-Soo Choo, Hunter Pence, Ben Revere
SP Max Scherzer, Kris Medlen, Jonathon Niese, Matt Moore, Tommy Milone, Chad Billingsley
SP/RP Andrew Cashner
RP Joe Nathan, Greg Holland, Luke Gregerson, Al Alburquerque, Trevor Rosenthal
DL Brandon Beachy, Michael Saunders

14-team 6x5 mixed roto, 1300-inning limit, 22-man roster, redraft
C Salvador Perez
1B Ike Davis
1B/3B/OF Todd Frazier
2B/OF Emilio Bonifacio
2B/SS Josh Rutledge, Danny Espinosa
3B Evan Longoria
OF Justin Upton, Jacoby Ellsbury, Shin-Soo Choo, Starling Marte
SP Max Scherzer, Jonathon Niese, Tommy Milone, AJ Griffin, Chad Billingsley
RP Rafael Soriano, Glen Perkins, Jose Veras, Joaquin Benoit, Luke Gregerson, Edward Mujica
DL Zach Greinke

Post subject: Re: Roster help: I've got too many RPs and am weak at 2B/SS.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:26 am 

I would probably drop Al Al and use the spot to stream. Nothing on the WW is worth picking up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:48 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I went ahead and dropped Russell for Mujica (that change'll be reflected in the signature shortly). But Id' still appreciate advice on the other questions.
Mauddib: you were looking at the wrong league ... Al Al make sense in that league because it rewards holds.

2B Aaron Hill
2B/OF Emilio Bonifacio
2B/SS Josh Rutledge
3B Miguel Cabrera
3B/SS Eduardo Nuñez
SP Max Scherzer, Kris Medlen, Jonathon Niese, Matt Moore, Tommy Milone, Chad Billingsley
SP/RP Andrew Cashner

C Salvador Perez
1B Ike Davis
1B/3B/OF Todd Frazier
2B/OF Emilio Bonifacio
3B Evan Longoria
RP Rafael Soriano, Glen Perkins, Jose Veras, Joaquin Benoit, Luke Gregerson, Edward Mujica
DL Zach Greinke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:40 pm 

Your other team should look to replace nunez. I think you are good at mi for now. I would worry about 1b in a 10-12 team but you are good for a 14 team. One bench bat couldn't hurt in roto. Can you play 6 rp daily? Otherwise I would rather stream or add hot bats with that spot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:17 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Hey there ... I'm a Tigers fan as well!

I can only play 5 RP unless one has SP eligibility (hence Cashner, who doubles as a stash for later on, if he gets moved into the rotation. I can put him in an SP slot when I don't have two guys starting in hopes of getting a hold, a few Ks, or some ratio help). Standard: seven pitching slots: two SP, two RP, and three P.

The league with Nunez has a deep bench (25 roster spots total). I haven't seen a player I need enough to want to drop him, but if that happens he's the first to go.

When you said it looks OK at MI, do you mean on the team with Espinosa, Rutledge, and Bonifacio?

Thanks for the advice.

Bourne wrote:
Your other team should look to replace nunez. I think you are good at mi for now. I would worry about 1b in a 10-12 team but you are good for a 14 team. One bench bat couldn't hurt in roto. Can you play 6 rp daily? Otherwise I would rather stream or add hot bats with that spot

2B Aaron Hill
2B/OF Emilio Bonifacio
2B/SS Josh Rutledge
3B Miguel Cabrera
3B/SS Eduardo Nuñez
SP/RP Andrew Cashner

C Salvador Perez
1B Ike Davis
1B/3B/OF Todd Frazier
2B/OF Emilio Bonifacio
3B Evan Longoria
DL Zach Greinke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:17 pm 

The way I was reading Nunez was your corner infielder. I feel like you can do better there even in a 14 team. As a MI I would risk him but if he is just a deep bench I get it for off days and the 3 day hot streak against a bad team for the yankees.

Yea I think you have a MI that would be competitive in any league. None of the waviers are an upgrade yet. You obviously should keep looking to upgrade, but it has only been two weeks. Bonifacio doesn't even have any of his 40+ steals yet! If you get trades for a MI that is cool, but I am waiting at least till may before I panic.