It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: My First Post! Keeper Question: Jennings or Aoki?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:35 pm 

Well, this is my first post at Razzball. I used to do this sort of thing on the Yahoo boards but I've come to realize something important: You guys actually know what you are talking about (well, at least half the time anyway). So I've seen the light, so to speak.

Grey, I love the site, the advice is spot on, and you and your crew have built a marvelously functional and user-friendly website. Thanks for that!

Now the actual post...

I play in a 12-team H2H Yahoo league with keepers. We score the following categories:

Batting: R, HR, RBI, SB, E, AVG, OPS
Pitching: W, L, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP

We can keep six guys, at a cost of two draft positions from when we got them; we can keep each player for three years. FA keepers cost rounds 22, 21, 20, etc.

Here is a list of potential keepers for 2013 and the projected cost of each:

Eric Hosmer - 1B - (19th Round) last year of keeper eligibility
Desmond Jennings - OF - (18th Round) last year of keeper eligibility
David Ortiz - 1B - (6th Round)
Buster Posey - C/1B - (4th Round)
Noichika Aoki - OF - (FA)
Will Middlebrooks - 3B - (FA)
Wil Meyers - OF - (FA)
Salvador Perez - C - (FA)
Andrelton Simmons - SS - (FA)

Madison Bumgarner - SP - (13th Round) last year of keeper eligibility
Max Scherzer - SP - (7th Round)
Kris Medlen - SP - (FA)
Mat Latos - SP - (5th Round)

As of right now, I'm planning on keeping: Ortiz, Perez, Aoki, Bumgarner, Scherzer, and Medlen.

I view Aoki and Jennings as almost the same, but certainly Jennings has a much higher upside despite his struggles last year. Aoki has a better OBP and AVE, but I'm not sold on his HR total from last year since even in Japan that wasn't part of his game. I think if everything breaks right for him, he could bat .300, 11HR, 90R, 60RBI, 35 SB.

If Jennings can lay off the high heat and the down-and-away stuff he could bat .270, 17 HR, 100R, 65RBI, 40+SB.

What do you guys think? Keep Jennings? Or for that matter, the rest of the guys? I'm open to suggestions.

Post subject: Re: My First Post! Keeper Question: Jennings or Aoki?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:43 pm 

First, welcome to Razzball. Love the enthusiasm, but you also wrote an essay, and I (and I suspect most crack-addled 24 year olds) don't have enough focus to watch an entire episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

That said, even with him losing keeper eligibility, I would still keep Hosmer over Ortiz. And I agree with you on your original question. I would probably take Aoki over Jennings. That statement is influenced by a lot of bias, though. I just really don't like Jennings. Have never been overly impressed by him.

I almost want to say keep Myers over Scherzer, but I would probably be inclined to let Myers slip so that you don't start the clock on his keeper eligibility until he's at least at the major league level. Or course, that's assuming you also end up with him back on your team.

Post subject: Re: My First Post! Keeper Question: Jennings or Aoki?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:54 am 

@Hollywoodnights:

Thanks for the response!

Point taken about the essay. I tend to want to provide as much detail as possible since keeper league rules can get pretty byzantine and everyone's is largely specific only to them.

Frankly, I think Homeland Security could use Aqua Teen Hunger Force as a "safer alternative" to water boarding...lock me in a room with that going all day and I'll tell you the color of my mom's underwear.

I probably feel the same way about Hosmer that you do about Jennings. He was really slow to adjust to the league last year and completely torched me, spending weeks at a time on the bench. I had Posey at first and Perez a catcher for most of the second half. While I agree that he will do better this year (can't do worse can he?) I think Papi is bank for 25HR, 85R, 95RBI, and .285BA. I'd be losing 10-15SB, but I can make that up somewhere else.

I planned all along to throw Myers back in the pool and try to draft him. I picked him up on the last day of 2012 just so some other toolbag didn't grab him and then keep him instead of me. As it stands now, since I technically had him on my team in 2012 (even just for the last day), that counts as a keeper eligibility year, so I'd rather take my chances in the draft (I'm thinking round 15-16) and see what happens. If I get him, I'll have 2.5 years instead of 1.5 (assuming TB starts him at AAA and calls him up mid-season).

Anyone else have a thought regarding the Aoki vs. Jennings conundrum?