It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Anyone with points league experience?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:56 am 

I am in my 2nd year in a points league. Last year, I did fine but would have drafted differently if I was more aware of the scoring system. For any veteran points leaguers... how much do you vary your draft rankings for this format?

Also:

Can keep Stanton as a 3rd rounder (12-team league) but he grades out as a 5th due to being penalized for K's. Would you keep?

Same for Brett Lawrie (10th round keeper). Grades as a 7-9 depending on whether you believe he can stop hitting so many grounders & stay healthy.

Post subject: Re: Anyone with points league experience?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:17 am 

I have been playing points league for over 10 years so I pretty good experience with it. Of course every league is a little different depending on what they score each stat. I don't vary my rankings all that much. There are just different things you have to be aware of. Like K's for hitters can really hurt a guys production. Jay Bruce is one that has been well regarded in fantasy but in points leagues, he just doesn't score as well. Same for Ryan Howard in his heyday. Stolen Bases also don't help much. So there is some variance but at least for me not as much as you might first thought.

Pitchers seem to get over-valued in points league because of how many points they generally score. The problem is that pitching is still pretty unreliable year to year so drafting pitching early will still hurt you. Plus you can generally find good SP late or on the WW.

I would not keep Stanton in the 3rd. At best that is where he is being drafted so I don't see any value there. Too many k's and not enough good hitters around him to keep the other numbers up.

I would keep Lawrie. I think he has top 50 upside which could happen this year. Kind of a gamble but that is the kind of player you gamble on.