It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Shallow keeper league question
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:24 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

First post! Where has this site been all my fantasy life!

I'm in a 10-team Yahoo H2H keeper, 5x5 plus OPS and Losses, with very shallow rosters (3 OF, 1 Util, no CI or MI slots), and we keep 7 with no penalty. I have 5 no-brainer keepers: Prince Fielder, Jose Reyes, Adam Jones, Jose Bautista, and Ian Kinsler.

If I were following Grey's rankings, my next two keepers would be Chase Headley and Curtis Granderson, which would fill all my batting slots except C and Util. However, pitching is looking pretty dire on draft day, as up to 20 or so pitchers are likely to be held. If I let one or both of my top-ranked pitchers (M. Moore and Darvish) go back into the draft, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't come back to me, either, as last season I traded my first-round draft pick along with Melky Cabrera for Kinsler and a second round pick.

I am currently pretty sold on keeping Moore over Granderson, since I'm pretty sure there will be a number of good OFs available (possibly Gordon, Rios, Choo, AJax, etc.) for my third-and-final OF slot. Plus, you know, possible ace in making with Moore.

I guess it comes down to Darvish vs. Headley. Do I go for the possible upside in Darvish, and grab someone like Moustakas or Machado in the draft (3Bs up through A-Ram, Lawrie, and Panda will likely be held), or go with the "safer" Headley, and hope that someone from the Darvish tier makes it back to me in the second round? Guess I'm leaning the former at the moment.

Thanks for your assistance!

Post subject: Re: Shallow keeper league question
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:16 am 

That is tough. I am fine keeping Moore over Granderson. But Darvish and Headley I would rank pretty similar. I really like Darvish and think he takes a step forward and starts solidifying himself as an Ace. I have no clue what to think of Headley but with the fences being brought in, there is a better chance he repeats.

Personally I would probably keep Darvish but I am not down on SP like a lot of people are. I know it is deep so I don't worry about drafting them early but I also don't want to be stuck with a bunch of #3's.

Any chance of dealing Kinsler or Bautista and Headley for an upgrade keeper? Seems silly to throw him back unless you have no choice but to do so.