It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Let's talk SP matchups for the week...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:00 am 

Grey, Rudy, RazzWorld...

I can start 1-2 of these SP in my AL Only league... thoughts, please? I'd like to start 2, but I could start only one and fill the other spot with Price, if matchups look that bad (and they kinda do).

1) Joba - 2 starts: @DET (Porcello), BOS (Lester)

My $.02: I think Joba will be OK vs. the righty-heavy DET lineup (OPS vs. RHP = .754, 10th in AL). Pitching against Bay & the BOS offense in the JetStream, however, looks to be a recipe for disaster. Sawx OPS vs. RHP = .905 (1st in AL). I smell 2.2 IP, 7 ER (oh wait, that's the line Cahill gave me the other night...).

2) Hughes - 2 starts: @DET (Jackson), LAA (Saunders)

My $.02: Is this guy any good? Who the hell knows? He's had 1 great MLB start - the one he popped his hammy. Nice numbers in AAA, but Scranton's no New York - despite what Pam thinks. Like Joba, Hughes has a start in the JetStream, though he faces the LA Punch & Judies (not to be confused with the now-retired LA Guns, fronted by Bad Vlad).

3) RazzFav Scott Baker - 1 start: KC (Meche)

My $.02: Traded for this guy in the offseason (keeper league) - before Rudy's (in)famous story heard 'round the RazzWorld - and I can't let my dreams of his/our success go. I'm giving this guy more chances to get right than Tony gave Christopher... but I think it ends the same, with me holding Scotty's nose shut. Wait - that sounded bad. Umm, how about it ends with me just taking Scotty for a nice ride in the Pine Barrens? Better? Good.

4) Davies - 1 start: TOR (Burres)

My $.02: He's on the come, but will have typical young pitcher inconsistency. TOR hits righties hard, to a tune of an .844 OPS (2nd in AL). Yeah, Burres stinks, but this looks like an 11-7 tilt to me, featuring 4 HR, 3 errors, 2 twenty-something year old DHs (Butler and Lind), and, of course, Tony Pena, Jr.'s MLB contract (copyright: Bill Simmons). You know, just your typical American League game in the 21st century.

Thanks guys!
Mike D.

P.S. Yes, OK, I'll admit it - I'd love to write for The Razz - don't know if you guys are interested in adding writers. But I really would like some advice regarding my starters, too...

Post subject: Re: Let's talk SP matchups for the week...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:40 am 

Mike D. wrote:
Grey, Rudy, RazzWorld...

I can start 1-2 of these SP in my AL Only league... thoughts, please? I'd like to start 2, but I could start only one and fill the other spot with Price, if matchups look that bad (and they kinda do).

1) Joba - 2 starts: @DET (Porcello), BOS (Lester)

My $.02: I think Joba will be OK vs. the righty-heavy DET lineup (OPS vs. RHP = .754, 10th in AL). Pitching against Bay & the BOS offense in the JetStream, however, looks to be a recipe for disaster. Sawx OPS vs. RHP = .905 (1st in AL). I smell 2.2 IP, 7 ER (oh wait, that's the line Cahill gave me the other night...).

2) Hughes - 2 starts: @DET (Jackson), LAA (Saunders)

My $.02: Is this guy any good? Who the hell knows? He's had 1 great MLB start - the one he popped his hammy. Nice numbers in AAA, but Scranton's no New York - despite what Pam thinks. Like Joba, Hughes has a start in the JetStream, though he faces the LA Punch & Judies (not to be confused with the now-retired LA Guns, fronted by Bad Vlad).

3) RazzFav Scott Baker - 1 start: KC (Meche)

My $.02: Traded for this guy in the offseason (keeper league) - before Rudy's (in)famous story heard 'round the RazzWorld - and I can't let my dreams of his/our success go. I'm giving this guy more chances to get right than Tony gave Christopher... but I think it ends the same, with me holding Scotty's nose shut. Wait - that sounded bad. Umm, how about it ends with me just taking Scotty for a nice ride in the Pine Barrens? Better? Good.

4) Davies - 1 start: TOR (Burres)

My $.02: He's on the come, but will have typical young pitcher inconsistency. TOR hits righties hard, to a tune of an .844 OPS (2nd in AL). Yeah, Burres stinks, but this looks like an 11-7 tilt to me, featuring 4 HR, 3 errors, 2 twenty-something year old DHs (Butler and Lind), and, of course, Tony Pena, Jr.'s MLB contract (copyright: Bill Simmons). You know, just your typical American League game in the 21st century.

Thanks guys!
Mike D.

P.S. Yes, OK, I'll admit it - I'd love to write for The Razz - don't know if you guys are interested in adding writers. But I really would like some advice regarding my starters, too...

I'd start Joba and Baker, but they're obviously not pretty. That was entertaining.... If you want to write for us, how about a Sunday post of two start pitchers? I like this format you just did. Send to me by Saturday night at grey [at] razzball.com in the closest approximation to HTML you can do.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.