It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Substitute SSs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:33 am 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

In one of my deep leagues, finding a healthy SS has been a pain in the razz. I started w/ Furcal, but he hurt his back squatting on Joel Zumaya's beanbag chair, playing GTA:IV all night. Then I had Jerry Hairston, Jr. filling his place. But he broke his thumb earlier this week when stealing second. (N.B. - TY, JHJr, for stealing 3rd before leaving the game.) The league's a deep one, so the ww is colder than SF in August.

Nevertheless, here are some available candidates I've come up w/ who qualify @ SS (in Y? leagues). Thought these foos might be of interest to those of you in deeper leagues. These names aren't sexy; but you're in a league where Harang isn't going to be found on the ww. Feedback/additional insights are always welcome.

Rich Aurilia His BA is up more than 20 pts in the last 10 games (.267). He's not going to win any batting titles, but he'll hit well enough to not kill your team's avg. In his career, he's had double digit HR every season w/ >400 ABs. He's healthy now, already has 5 HR (not shabby if you play him @ SS), and this looks to be his first healthy year since hitting 23 HR (2 yrs ago). Yeah, it was in Cincy - but it was evenly split b/w home and away. Also, he's from Brooklyn.

Ramon Vazquez When I said these names weren't sexy, that wasn't a knock on RV's 'stache. He's a 32 yo career .257 hitter who is currently @ .331. I predict a slump. But not just yet - he's been hitting over .320 for over a month. He hits at the bottom of the Rangers lineup. Glass half full: means he's got Kinsler/Young/Hamilton/Murphy hitting behind him after the 1st inning! If you're looking to plug a hole for a week or two, RV may be able to keep this pace up just long enough to make a net-positive contribution. He's currently got 24 R and 16 RBI in in 139 ABs. Again, not shabby for a substitute SS.

Brendan Ryan In 96 ABs, he's hitting .290 w/ 17 R and 5 SB. His minor league #s confirm he's pretty quick on the basepaths. Unfortunately, Cesar Izturis is back from injury. That doesn't do anyone any good, to say nothing of the Cards. Burly La Russa started Ryan @ 2B the other day, so he's still going to work his way into the lineup and get some ABs. Glass Half Full: not going to score as many runs, but won't play enough to hurt you while still, hopefully, getting some bags. If you need speed, you could do worse.

Emmanuel Buriss Ughh. Blech. Like Ryan, won't play enough to hurt you. Won't score any runs or RBI. But he's quick (6 SB in in 78 ABs). He "plays" for the Giants, who are running more than any team in the league; otherwise they wouldn't score any runs.

JJ Hardly is also available in many leagues. I was watching him because - while I think last year was a fluke - he's not this bad. Sure enough, I'm watching the Brewers game on Wednesday. Hardly goes 2 for 3. And when you're desperate to catch lightening in a bottle, it's enough to make you go hmmmm.. But then his bum shoulder gets sore and he's pulled out of the lineup. Razztastic!

Post subject: Re: Substitute SSs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:59 am 

That looks like a turd buffet to me. You could look into Yuni Betancourt also. Also, Jeff Keppinger is on a rehab assignment for the Reds right now -- he may be available in your league.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:06 am 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

BSUjam wrote:
That looks like a turd buffet to me. You could look into Yuni Betancourt also. Also, Jeff Keppinger is on a rehab assignment for the Reds right now -- he may be available in your league.

For me, nope and nope. It's a deep league. 14 team, 28 man rosters (w/ to DL, 14 starting offense, 10 pitching). But others might have those guys available and would definitely be worth filling in if they needed help @ SS. Keppinger should be back in about 10 days.

Turd buffet - interesting. It always looked like a goose egg buffet, to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:15 am 

Does that mean Clint Barmes is not available either? He could be back sooner than Tulo and should become the full time 2b.

2B -Ian Kinsler Det - 2B
3B -Evan Longoria TB - 3B
SS - Danny Santana Min - 2B,SS,CF
LF - Carl Crawford LAD - LF
CF -Adam Jones Bal - CF
RF - José Bautista Tor - RF
Util - Nolan Arenado Col - 3B

SP - Francisco Liriano Pit - SP
SP - Andrew Cashner SD - SP,RP
SP -Julio Teherán Atl - SP
SP - Jenrry Mejía NYM - SP,RP
RP - Aroldis Chapman Cin - RP
BE - Mike Fiers Mil - SP,RP
BE - Yusmeiro Petit SF - SP,RP
BE -Yordano Ventura KC - SP
BE - Gerrit Cole Pit - SP
BE - Alex Wood Atl - SP,RP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:33 am 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Frank Rizzo wrote:
Does that mean Clint Barmes is not available either? He could be back sooner than Tulo and should become the full time 2b.

Nope - no Deer Meat. My profiles of the schlumps above would only be of remote interest to managers in 14+ team leagues; managers in smaller leagues should definitely consider your suggestions (Keppinger, Barmes, etc.) as definite pickups for SS help if they need it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:43 am 

Mike Aviles for KC is also doing pretty well since taking over the starting job. He probably would be decent fill-in. He was hitting well in the minors before being called up also.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:29 am 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

BSUjam wrote:
Mike Aviles for KC is also doing pretty well since taking over the starting job. He probably would be decent fill-in. He was hitting well in the minors before being called up also.

Aviles - good call!