It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Marcus Thames or Nick Johnson as bench man extraordinaire?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:42 pm 

I waited an hour too long to drop Thames for Fowler, so now I'm stuck debating between Thames and Nick Johnson to fill out a bench spot. To help you guys help me decide, I made a nice little chart below:

Marcus Thames
PROS
* Power potential.
* Neat name.
* Not white.
CONS
* OBP.
* Randomness of playing time.
* Doesn't look like a dockworker.

Nick Johnson
PROS
* OBP machine.
* Decent power.
* Upside?
* Looks like a dockworker.
* Everybody loves a comeback story.
CONS
* I hear he gets injured.
* Is playing time an issue? I really don't know, what with Adam Dunn and the other O[a]Fers. (Get it? I made fun of them. They play in the OF, and they're oafs.)

At the time of this posting, I think I'm convincing myself to pick up Nick Johnson when he clears waivers Saturday morning. Am I crazy? Does it even matter?

Post subject: Re: Marcus Thames or Nick Johnson as bench man extraordinaire?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:45 pm 

Doesn't really matter, but Thames will have better numbers at the end of the year.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:46 pm 

Oh, but excellent chart.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:49 pm 

I plagiarized that chart. It's actually page 35 from Tender Buttons.

Which brings me to another point. I want to start seeing more Gertrude Stein jokes on this website. Or else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:54 pm 

Awesome request. Will work on it. Ya know... A Nick is a Nick is a Thames. Wrap your melon around that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:35 pm 

Johnson plays when healthy - he's probably their best hitter (real baseball, not fantasy wise).

you can probably get Johnson, play him till he gets hurt, then grab Thames off the FA list b/c both are fringe players.

2nd-Weeks ($9)
SS-Zobrost ($15)
3rd-Moustakes ($6)
MI-M.Young ($3)
CI-Goldschmidt ($25)
OF-J.Upton ($35)
OF-Cain (FA)
OF-A.Gordon ($15)
OF-Pence ($7)
OF-Victorino (Trade)
Util-Rizzo ($14)
B-Maybin ($2), C.Carter ($1), Dido (FA), Bourjos (FA), Cespedes ($27), Ackley (FA)

SP-Price (trade), Medlen ($13)
RP-Balfour ($2), Frieri ($3)
P- R.Cook ($1), Buchholz (FA), Russell (FA), Mujica (FA)
B-Samardzija ($9), Minor ($6), H.Bailey ($3), Beachy (DL)