It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: What would you do?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:03 am 

Heres the deal. I have the # 1 pick in this years draft. Through a couple of great trades I aquired the # 3 and the # 6 picks as well.
This years draft is pretty loaded. Why am I stumped? Well here is a list of the top 12 players avalible. And here are my keepers We keep 9 Draft 16. 5x5
I want to take Pujols with # 1 and I want to get Reyes with # 3 But I'm affraid the owner of the # 2 pick is going to take Reyes. Seeing my team do you think I should pass on Pujols and take Reyes at # 1 and Utley # 3 ? I love Pujols but getting both Utley and Reyes would be huge for me in the middle.I have some pretty nice power but no speed. I could then probably get either Berkman or Fielder with my # 6 pick.I doubt Rollins is there at # 6 . I could also still take Pujols at # 1 and maybe Sizemore or Rollins at # 3. I might even be able to make a side deal with the owner of the # 2 pick. I could ask him for a swap of picks for next year. Next years draft is nearly a big as this year.We can't do any trades now because our rosters are frozen until after the draft. Thoughts on what I should do. PLEASE!!!!
My team is on the right side.

Pujols D. Wright
Sizemore J. Bay
Reyes J. Bruce
Howard Tulowitzki
Rollins M. Cabrera
Beltran Price
Utley Shields
Berkman Verlander
Fielder Soria
Morneau
Holliday
Soriano

Home Cafe: Baseball
Friendliness:
Private message

Post subject: Re: What would you do?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:05 am 

I don't know what happend to my post but my team is on the right side. It was fine when I previewed it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:11 am 

Wow, your team is going to be stacked. I like stacked stacked. Not sure how you acquired those picks, but nice work. I'd go Reyes and Utley and enjoy every second of my Wright, Reyes, Utley and Cabrera infield. Wow.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:44 am 

In our league the bottom three teams in the stanings go into a lottery for the first pick.I won. I then traded Johan Santana and Furcal for the # 3 pick. Santana had two years left on his contract. I figured who ever I got with that pick would be better then Santana and Furcal.
I then traded my first pick in next years draft for the 11th pick in this years draft.I traded the 11th pick and Liriano to get the 6th pick and Verlander.Next years draft isn't nearly as deep as this one. Hanley Ramirez leads the way next year but I knew I would have too good of a team to finish in the bottom three and a chance to get him. Hence the traded for next years first round pick.
I did the first two trades right after the season ended. My league normally is not trade friendly.We can keep players four years.
I am trying to see if I can get something for not taking Pujols rather then just giving the owner of the second pick the rights to him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:19 am 

Pujols is the best choice at # 1. I just heard from the owner of the second pick. He said he is leaning toward selecting Ryan Howard. If he takes Howard at # 2 I will take Reyes at # 3 That means Sizemore probably will go # 4. I wonder who the # 5 pick would be.That could leave Utley open for me at # 6 Your guesses? If Utley goes at # 5 or # 6 who would you select with the # 6 pick? That would leave.
Rollins
Beltran
Soriano
Holliday
Berkman
Fielder
We have a SS, 2b, MI and a DH that can be any posisition.Reyes would become my SS. Tulo my MI. I could take Rollins at # 6 and maybe Roberts at # 14 if he is there for second base. With Reyes, Rollins and Roberts I would be in great shap with steals.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:59 am 

Don't take Rollins if you have Reyes. Take Utley, Beltran, Berkman, Fielder, Holliday then Rollins, in that order.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:06 am 

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:49 am 

VtPistonsFan wrote:
Rollins
Beltran
Soriano
Holliday
Berkman
Fielder

In a league where you're normally keeping star players for four years without penalty, Berkman and Soriano should not even be considered here. So it comes down to Beltran, Holliday, Rollins and Fielder. If you have Reyes and Tulo already, then there's no reason to draft Rollins as a DH. Beltran is probably marginally better than Holliday this season, but Holliday is in a walk year and may get traded out of Oakland even this year, so don't overrate the Coliseum factor in a keeper league. Beltran turns 32 next month, meaning he'll be 35 by the end of his contract with your team, and he's had knee problems already. That's not ideal, and you may get a falloff in the last year or two. Holliday just turned 29, and should have four more prime years left in the tank barring injury. Of the two outfielders, I think Holliday has the most value in your league.

Fielder is another question. He's still a baby, so no concerns with a four-year timeframe. So your league has no CI position, meaning Fielder would have to DH at least until Cabrera's contract is up? That's unfortunate. Overall, I'd probably rank them:

Holliday
Fielder
Beltran
Rollins
Berkman
Soriano

...with Utley clearly the top choice if he's still there at #6.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:24 pm 

Great stuff thanks. But I messed up my post about posisitions. We have the nomal infield and outfield. We also have three DHs . One can be a MI or catcher. Another can be a CI or and outfielder. The third DH can be any body. Even a pitcher. We field 25 total players. 15 fielders and 10 pitchers. No bench and no reserves. We do daily stats and transactions. I do see what you mean about Beltran and Holliday.I have read he could be traded before seasons end. I know many are concerned about being in Oakland. Hes a great hitter. I'm sure most of his homeruns didn't just barely clear the fences in Colorado . So the fences are a little farther and no high altitude to help but he'll get his share.
I would like to get Reyes and Utley with # 3 and # 6 . I am going to keep the pick and take Pujols with my # 1. I can't get everybody so I'll just take the best players I can get .
Next question. If I do get Pujols, Reyes and Utley ( Holliday ) should I take Roberts with my next pick which is 14th overall ? Put him at DH. Its possible Morneau could be there . Also Vernon Wells, Stephen Drew , Cano and Garrett Atkins for hitters. Felix, Lackey, Wainright, Javier Vazquez and Kazmir for pitchers.I was thinking of waiting until the fourth round to take a pitcher I wanted to load up on hitting. I already have two Rays pitchers so I'd rule out Kazmir.
Thanks so much for the help.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:28 pm 

I like Morneau better than Roberts.