Price v. Shields

Who to start, who to bench. Grab that WW guy? Low priced rookie or high priced stud?
mannybeingmanny

Price v. Shields

Postby mannybeingmanny » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:38 am

H2H yahoo.com keeper league. I have to keep Price right over Shields right? The only thing is that my other keepers are Pujols, Utley, D Wright, Tulo, and Rios. I figure Shields gives me more ammo for the championship run. Grey please tell me what to do

Grimlock

Re: Price v. Shields

Postby Grimlock » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:47 am

mannybeingmanny wrote:H2H yahoo.com keeper league. I have to keep Price right over Shields right?

Ummmm...no. Price is still far from proven, while Shields is a borderline top-10 pitcher with a solid track record, no injury history and still only 27 years old. Even in the long run, there's a very good chance you'll be better off with Shields, but if you're competing for a title this year, you'd be insane to go with Price. How much higher is Price's upside than what Shields already is? Maybe a few more Ks? The only championship you can win is this year's. Don't get caught up in prospect hype and throw out a young veteran just hitting his prime. Keeper leagues (especially ones like yours that hold a relatively small number of players) are won with guys like Shields much more often than they are with guys like Price.

mannybeingmanny

Postby mannybeingmanny » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:00 am

Thanks for your insightful reply. I'll admit, I got caught up in the hype machine the day I won my waiver claim for him. Thanks for injecting some sanity into my irrational thought process.

peter
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Postby peter » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:03 am

Yeah, I think you've got to go w/ Shields.

David Price has pitched <20 innings in the bigs - and all in relief. IF (that's a big "if", not "infield") he stays on track, health and performance-wise, how long will it be before he is making 30 starts? 2 years?

Pujols, Utley, Wright et al perform like 1st round picks now, so go for the championship now. Sure, someday Price could be a lot better than Shields. But it's just as possible that Price, like so many pitchers, doesn't become what everyone thinks he will.

Return to “Baseball - Lineups, Waivers, Keepers”