It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Dynasty (100% Keeper) Draft, 12th pick, need some guidance
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:58 pm 

Hey All,

I am starting a dynasty league , where we only have one draft (this year) and then 100% carryover season to season. Obviously, when evaluating players here you're thinking both short and long term production, basically you need to rank players on their entire career potential.

I got stuck with the 12th pick, and I want some feedback on who you like for their entire career.

I was briefly thinking about the following players which could be available at the 12th/13th turn position:

Carlos Quentin - 26
Ian Kinsler - 27
Josh Hamilton - 28
Nick Markakis - 25
B.J. Upton - 24
Teixeira
Lincecum (not really jazzed about going pitching this early)

You get the idea... Hanley, Reyes, Wright, Pujols, Grady, Braun, Longoria and maybe A-Rod/Utley will be gone by the time I pick.

Who would you build your team around? Anyone I am missing out who is both young and primed to have an excellent MLB career?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Dynasty (100% Keeper) Draft, 12th pick, need some guidance
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:28 pm 

SaltyBiscuits wrote:
I am starting a dynasty league , where we only have one draft (this year) and then 100% carryover season to season. Obviously, when evaluating players here you're thinking both short and long term production, basically you need to rank players on their entire career potential.

I got stuck with the 12th pick, and I want some feedback on who you like for their entire career.

I was briefly thinking about the following players which could be available at the 12th/13th turn position:

Carlos Quentin - 26
Ian Kinsler - 27
Josh Hamilton - 28
Nick Markakis - 25
B.J. Upton - 24
Teixeira

You get the idea... Hanley, Reyes, Wright, Pujols, Grady, Braun, Longoria and maybe A-Rod/Utley will be gone by the time I pick.

Who would you build your team around? Anyone I am missing out who is both young and primed to have an excellent MLB career?

Thanks!

I'd rank them Tex, Upton, Markakis, Hamilton, Quentin, Kinsler then Lincecum.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:44 am 

Good lookin out Grey!

Anyone else have thoughts?

What young players do you think are on a guarenteed path to m'effing stardom.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:17 pm 

In a lifetime league the draft is going to be much different because of people reaching for youth.

I'm not sure i go for kinsler that early(13th overall) I'd probably wait a bit and see what falls where until you pick your 3rd and 4th. It may end up you wait on someone like Lopez(25). I love Upton but tbh i'd take Kemp over both Upton and Markasis in your format, b/c i don't see any way Kemp is sitting there at the end of round 3 and i'm super high on his potential.

I can see that Evan might still be there at 12, it all depends.

Based on when you'd pick i'd personally list my targets as:

Longoria(who knows he might be there)
Kemp
Tex
Upton
Fielder*
Markakis
Timmy L
Kinsler*
Hamilton
Quention

Fielder and Kinsler are your call. I can see skipping Prince in hopes Votto is still there for your 4th pick(he'll be gone by your 5th most likely but who knows, i have no idea how good your league mates are) and it's not that i hate kinsler, it's just i think there are a few better dynasty options then what you'd have to pay for him. There's a 30 HR 2b named uggla that could fall to you in 3/4 for example.

I also personally would not take Hamilton unless he fell after my top 2 picks.

Late round guys i'd look at are Fowler from COL and I'd probably reach for maybin.. maybe even and andrus.

Best case scenario for me drafting would be Longoria, Kemp, Alexi/Uggla, Votto, and so on... I'd probaly also want either Tulo or Drew if i could somehow get uggla or alexi.

Dunno just my thoughts from playing in leagues where people put such a premium on youth. You'll be shocked at the older guys and how far they fall.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:42 am 

SaltyBiscuits wrote:
Hey All,

Carlos Quentin - 26
Ian Kinsler - 27
Josh Hamilton - 28
Nick Markakis - 25
B.J. Upton - 24
Teixeira

Thanks!

I would at least think about Wieters in that position and definitely snatch him if he falls to your next picks. Would also consider Pedroia instead of Kinsler - the consistent high end performance outranks the slim chance of Kinsler reaching his ceiling IMO. I'm not a huge fan of their fantasy coverage, but I did run BP's price calculator based strictly on upside and adjusting for position for a 12-team mixed league and it produced the following:
HanRam - $122
Wieters - $110
Pujols - $88
Reyes - $86
Wright - $68
Sizemore - $50
Mauer - $50
Lincecum - $46
McCann - $44
Longo - $43
DPed - $42
Utley - $40