It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Help picking the last one
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:50 pm 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

It's a 12 team, h2h (5x5) keeper league. We keep 9 (no restrictions) each year. I could use a little additional perspective as I pick the last one... I've reded the ones I already know I'm keeping:
Quote:
Brian McCann
Albert Pujols

Jose Lopez
Miguel Cabrera
Rafael Furcal
Ryan Braun

Nelson Cruz
Curtis Granderson
Chase Headley
Ryan Shealy
Mike Aviles
Willy Taveras
Scott Baker
Wandy Rodriguez
Jensen Lewis
Fernando Rodney
James Shields
Matt Capps
Chad Billingsley
Jamie Moyer
Chris "R" Young
Brandon Morrow
Fausto Carmona
Justin Duchscherer

I'd been thinking about keeping Young or Morrow. I could go either way on that one (if I can trade Morrow for a draft pick then that'll decide things for me). Am I considering the right guys for that last spot? My thoughts are that, say, Jose Lopez and Nelson Cruz could have some value - but when they're picked up at the end of the draft... not as attractive in basically the first 9 rounds.

Post subject: Re: Help picking the last one
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:12 pm 

peter wrote:
It's a 12 team, h2h (5x5) keeper league. We keep 9 (no restrictions) each year. I could use a little additional perspective as I pick the last one... I've reded the ones I already know I'm keeping:
Quote:
Brian McCann
Albert Pujols

Jose Lopez
Miguel Cabrera
Rafael Furcal
Ryan Braun

Nelson Cruz
Curtis Granderson
Chase Headley
Ryan Shealy
Mike Aviles
Willy Taveras
Scott Baker
Wandy Rodriguez
Jensen Lewis
Fernando Rodney
James Shields
Matt Capps
Chad Billingsley
Jamie Moyer
Chris "R" Young
Brandon Morrow
Fausto Carmona
Justin Duchscherer

I'd been thinking about keeping Young or Morrow. I could go either way on that one (if I can trade Morrow for a draft pick then that'll decide things for me). Am I considering the right guys for that last spot? My thoughts are that, say, Jose Lopez and Nelson Cruz could have some value - but when they're picked up at the end of the draft... not as attractive in basically the first 9 rounds.

Your reasoning seems sound. I really like Young and Morrow. It's hard to go wrong with either. I think Young is a bit safer and Morrow has more upside but riskier. So, you gotta ask yourself, you want risk and upside or do you want a quality number 3 man? With Shields and Billingsley, you already have two quality starters. But I'd still go Young because I'm conservative like that.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:51 pm 

If you are going with pitching, definately go with Young. Keep Cruz if you end up going with a hitter. I think he puts it together this year and busts out for 30+ HRs and somewhere around 100RBI, doubt he hits over .300 but I think his avg. will be somewhat respectable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:05 am 

If you keep a pitcher, it should be Scott Baker. Yes, I am aware of Rudy's excellent risky pitchers post and Baker's high breaking ball rate, but he's a safer bet than Young.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:52 am 
Razzball Sponsor
Razzball Sponsor

Ha! Well, I'm pleased to announce that I was tantalized by upside and youth, and went w/ Morrow... because today:

Quote:
The Seattle Times reports that Brandon Morrow "has been shut down indefinitely" after cutting a bullpen session short Tuesday due to continued forearm soreness.

His status for Opening Day is now in doubt. "It's going to be tight, but we still think we have some time," manager Don Wakamatsu said. "It depends on how fast he comes back from this. We'll just see where he's at. Another week, or a week and a half, and he's no further along, there's going to be some concerns." Ryan Rowland-Smith would likely step into the rotation if Morrow begins the season on the disabled list. (From Rotoworld)

Oofa!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:35 am 

Yeah, heard that. Not good for Morrow.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.