It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Keeper League #1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:19 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Hey all,

Check it out. I think I have my keepers for my first league decided, and was wondering what you think.

We keep 5, 3 years max. You keep players at the round you originally selected them, and don't pick in that round in the draft. Free agent pickups are kept at the end of the draft starting with the last round.

This is what I narrowed it down to:

Braun(1)
Reyes(2)
Zimmerman(3)
Cano(4)
Verlander(5)
Latos(FA)
Lind(FA)
Tabata(FA)
C. Santana(FA)
Smoak(FA)
Ortiz(FA)
Huff(FA)

Now I'm thinking the following:

Braun - highly likely to return 1st round value
Zimm - 3rd round is good value, like having 3rd base locked down
Cano - although I don't think he should be a 1st rounder, this is great value
Latos - little doubt he will regress to some degree, but I'd be getting him in the 25th round. Can't really argue with that.
Lind - would get him in the 24th round. Yahoo league, so 1B eligible. I had Kendry last year, but had to drop him because I was trying to win the championship (came in 2nd). So 2 reasons to pick Lind...the obvious value of getting him in the 24th, and my failsafe in case I don't get an elite 1B in the draft. This is the slot I am most unsure about.

I think Reyes is too big a risk in the 2nd round and it will be good to have a 2nd round pick to try and get a 1B. I think Verlander might have a great season, but he's going the same place he went last year in drafts, 5-6.

Guys who will likely be available in the draft: Teix, Utley, Upton, Mauer, Reyes, ARod. Possibly: Fielder or Howard.

So what do you think? Do I have this figured out?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Keeper League #1
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:19 pm 

I think you have 4 of the 5 you need already figured out...Braun, Zimm, Cano and Latos.

Verlander isn't worth a 5th...so he's a no. As for Adam Lind...the only guy I'd keep over him for your 24th round pick is Ortiz (assuming you mean David Ortiz...who is also 1B eligible). If its not Papi, then for me it's a toss up between Lind and Huff.

~Mike
(maybe check out my keeper situation and lemme know what you think?...it's listed towards the bottom of the first page. Thanks.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:41 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

phillyrulez04 wrote:
I think you have 4 of the 5 you need already figured out...Braun, Zimm, Cano and Latos.

Verlander isn't worth a 5th...so he's a no. As for Adam Lind...the only guy I'd keep over him for your 24th round pick is Ortiz (assuming you mean David Ortiz...who is also 1B eligible). If its not Papi, then for me it's a toss up between Lind and Huff.

~Mike
(maybe check out my keeper situation and lemme know what you think?...it's listed towards the bottom of the first page. Thanks.)

Yes, that is Papi.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:01 pm 

Then yes, I'd keep Ortiz over Lind for your 24th rounder.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:38 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

I guess I should add that the league is a fairly competitive 12-team H2H league. 6X6 (AVG, BB, R, HR, RBI, SB) (CG, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, HLD).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:05 am 
Sponsor
Sponsor

Maybe I should keep Santana over Lind/Ortiz??

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:34 am 

Yeah, what? I was reading through the comments wondering why no one had said Carlos Santana. I think you absolutely take a top 6, under 25-year old Catcher at that point. You'll be able to draft 1B and SP.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:29 pm 

RandomItalicizdVoice wrote:
Hey all,

Check it out. I think I have my keepers for my first league decided, and was wondering what you think.

We keep 5, 3 years max. You keep players at the round you originally selected them, and don't pick in that round in the draft. Free agent pickups are kept at the end of the draft starting with the last round.

This is what I narrowed it down to:

Braun(1)
Reyes(2)
Zimmerman(3)
Cano(4)
Verlander(5)
Latos(FA)
Lind(FA)
Tabata(FA)
C. Santana(FA)
Smoak(FA)
Ortiz(FA)
Huff(FA)

Now I'm thinking the following:

Braun - highly likely to return 1st round value
Zimm - 3rd round is good value, like having 3rd base locked down
Cano - although I don't think he should be a 1st rounder, this is great value
Latos - little doubt he will regress to some degree, but I'd be getting him in the 25th round. Can't really argue with that.
Lind - would get him in the 24th round. Yahoo league, so 1B eligible. I had Kendry last year, but had to drop him because I was trying to win the championship (came in 2nd). So 2 reasons to pick Lind...the obvious value of getting him in the 24th, and my failsafe in case I don't get an elite 1B in the draft. This is the slot I am most unsure about.

I think Reyes is too big a risk in the 2nd round and it will be good to have a 2nd round pick to try and get a 1B. I think Verlander might have a great season, but he's going the same place he went last year in drafts, 5-6.

Guys who will likely be available in the draft: Teix, Utley, Upton, Mauer, Reyes, ARod. Possibly: Fielder or Howard.

So what do you think? Do I have this figured out?

Thanks in advance.

Switch Lind out for Santana.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:49 pm 
Sponsor
Sponsor

RandomItalicizdVoice wrote:
I guess I should add that the league is a fairly competitive 12-team H2H league. 6X6 (AVG, BB, R, HR, RBI, SB) (CG, K, ERA, WHIP, SV, HLD).

By CG I actually meant QS. Thanks for the response Grey.