It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: keeper question
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:49 pm 

Hi

Thanks for all your advice. I love Razzball.

I have been playing FBB for over ten years and this year I have decided to take on a new FBB challenge; a keeper league. A friend of mine had an opening in his 12 team Fantasy point keeper league (not roto) because the owner had enough. The issue is that the team pretty much sucks and I don't even have many choices for my keepers and am trying to find the right strategy. Here are the players I have to choose from:

Garret Atkins
Chris Coste
Jason Kendall
Kevin Millar
Placido Polanco
Stephen Drew
Magglio Ordonez
Juan Pierre
Eric Hinske
Michael Cuddyer
Todd Helton
Jeff Kent
Hideki Matsui
Jayson Werth

Ryan Dempster
Scott Kazmir
Ted Lilly
Daisuke Matsuzaka
Jose Valverde
Javier Vazquez
Todd Wellemeyer
Francisco Cordeo
Chad Gaudin
Rich Hall
Braden Looper

As you can see, there isn't much to work with. Especially since there will be 48 top guys gone before I get my next player pick (I have the #1 pick). My gut tells me to take Dice-K, Kazmir, Magglio and Valverde. I usually dont take any SP or RP until the 7th round or so, so this really messes with my usual strategy, but regardless my offense will be lacking. The major plus is that as of now, both Braun and Manny will be available for my first pick (Their owners have other players currently marked as keepers, which attests to how strong those teams are.), but then i will have to wait another 23 picks for my next two picks.

I'm leaning towards possibly taking Drew as one of my keepers since Hanley, Reyes and Rollins will already be taken and he is the top ss left on the board.

I know the whole idea of braun being left on the board seems absurd, but the guy who has him currently has Pujols, kinsler, haren and lincecum marked as his keepers, he won the league last year and has to wait 12picks in the draft. Guess he thinks OF is much deeper than it really is or maybe he just doesnt like braun. no clue. His loss is my gain. The team that doesn't have Manny protected has listed philips, doumit, nathan and bedard as his keepers. He gets pick #3, so maybe he is hoping that manny will still be on the board. Utley also isnt protected right now, but I dont know if he would be worth that coveted first pick over braun. His owner has the 5th pick and has protected Nolasco, Webb, Oswalt and Mariano. Another unprotected guy is longoria. The guy has 6th pick and has protected berkman, c. lee, harden and wright. I dont know most the guys in the league yet, so I havent learned their strategies yet. I know the league owner and have been playing in another league with him for two years, (which is why he offered me the team, he knew I'd be up to the challenge). Regarding closers, there are 6 closers currently protected k-rod, mariano, wood, palpebon, lidge and nathan. So maybe holding my two closer as trade bait later will be a great idea

I obviously am not living in a dream world, I don't expect to contend for the title this year, my goal is to finish in the top half of the standing and then push for contention next year (or the year after ;)

Rob

Post subject: Re: keeper question
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:03 pm 

Drew, Atkins, Magglio, Kazmir

Dick-K is due for a stinker and keeping Valverde is crazy talk. Stephen Drew is probably the best keeper on that team - don't let him go. I don't like Atkins any more than you probably do, but he's the best of what's left. By the way, the GMs in this league are smoking crack. Haren over Braun? Bedard over Manny?! Nolasco over Utley?!?! Rich flippin Harden over Longoria?!#$%!!! Foolishness.

Either there are auction figures you're not sharing, or you're in a league with some of those convicts in Florida who get to use the internet.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:12 pm 

:)

nope no auction figures.

I dont really know the guys yet (except the Commish), but it works to my advantage if they arent so smart :)

Im not too high on atkins since his numbers have been decreasing every year. I was thinking of taking an RP to help use as trade bait in the future.

Thanks

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:03 pm 

I read your post twice but I have no idea how many guys you have to keep, if you have to keep any. I would grab Braun with the first pick.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:11 pm 

sorry. I get to keep any 4 players.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:20 pm 

rob0174 wrote:
Garret Atkins
Chris Coste
Jason Kendall
Kevin Millar
Placido Polanco
Stephen Drew
Magglio Ordonez
Juan Pierre
Eric Hinske
Michael Cuddyer
Todd Helton
Jeff Kent
Hideki Matsui
Jayson Werth

Ryan Dempster
Scott Kazmir
Ted Lilly
Daisuke Matsuzaka
Jose Valverde
Javier Vazquez
Todd Wellemeyer
Francisco Cordeo
Chad Gaudin
Rich Hall
Braden Looper

Have to keep 4?

If you don't have to, Atkins and Drew. That's it. If you have to keep 4, then add in Mags and Werth.

BTW, I love Rich Hall's sniglets. That's cool you have him.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:24 pm 

Thanks Grey,

have to keep 4, no choice in that.

oops, Rich Hill.

but sniglets from NNTN were the best

why not kazmir? too much of a inj risk?

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:16 pm 

At least with your hitters they're solid with little downside. If you want to trade out Kazmir for Werth, go for it. You're not dealing with the best keepers as it is.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:45 pm 

thats part of the whole challenge.

Thanks for the tips Grey.

Razzball rocks!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:06 pm 

this team is worse than the keeper team i took over. my best player was Phillips, while the reigning champ held onto, pujols, arod, hanley ramirez, johan, beckett, k-rod, and webb.

i say you gotta stick with maggs, drew, atkins and kazmir. yeah he has the inj risk, but he has the potential to be one of the top 5-10 pitchers. I'm not sayin he is going to, but he has the ability.

12 team 1 PPR, 5 bonus points for 100 yard rec. and rushing, and 300 yard passing

QB - eli manning
RB - CJ, Ronnie Brown
Flex - Bradshaw
WR - Fitz, hines ward, Louis Murphy
TE - celek
Def - Texans
K - akers
bench - micheal bush, ricky williams, mcfadden, malcolm floyd, Roy Williams, Mike williams (sea)