It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Need advice on keepers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:02 am 

Hello....this is my first post and I wanted to start off by saying a huge thank you to Razzball for having such an amazing site. This is by far the best fantasy baseball site around and during the season I am visiting it everyday so thanks for everything you do and keeping me entertained!!!

I am in a 30 player keeper league using a 5x5 mixed league format, $260 salary cap, 12 teams and I can keep as many players as I like going into the draft. I believe I have my keepers and drops set but I could really use a second set of eyes to review my roster and give advice on who do drop and keep. Here is my roster with the appropriate salary increases for this year along with 23 Active Rosters Spots; 7 Bench and Active Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF (5), Util, P (10 total of any type):

Stats
Hitting: R – HR – RBI – SB – OBS
Pitching: W – SV – K – ERA – WHIP

Hitters
Victor Martinez $7
Matt Wieters $3
Chris Davis $3
Carlos Pena $5
Brandon Phillips $21
Alexei Ramirez $3
Placido Polanco $3
Hanley Ramirez $25
Ian Stewart $3
Justin Upton $5
Jay Bruce $5
Jacoby Ellsbury $5
Josh Hamilton $13
Matt LaPorta $3
Andrew McCutchen $3 (plan on dropping)
Eugenio Valez $3 (plan on dropping)

Pitchers
Brian Wilson $5
Kerry Wood $5
John Lacky $23
Chris Carpenter $4
Max Scherzer $4
Kevin Slowey $3
David Price $3
Josh Johnson $3
Todd Wellemeyer $3
Glen Perkins $3
Trevor Cahill $3
Bobby Jenks $20 (plan on dropping)
Takashi Saito $3 (plan on dropping)
Jake Peavy $34 (plan on dropping but waivering on this)

If I drop all of the players I am planning on dropping I would have $97 to spend on drafting 5 players. So I would be targeting 1B, 3B, OF and Pitching. The 12 owners in this league all have great keepers (with low dollar values) so the player auction draft tend to get a bit out of control (A-Rod went for $54 last year).

I worked hard at the end of last season to get some solid keeper via free agent pickups and trades so it is hard to let some of these players go. Any advice on who I should keep and who I should drop would be greatly appreciated...I have literally revised this list 100 times so I need to put it to rest and move on! :D

Thanks in advace for anyone who gives me their opinions!!!

Post subject: Re: Need advice on keepers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:14 am 

mhobs97223 wrote:
I am in a 30 player keeper league using a 5x5 mixed league format, $260 salary cap, 12 teams and I can keep as many players as I like going into the draft. I believe I have my keepers and drops set but I could really use a second set of eyes to review my roster and give advice on who do drop and keep. Here is my roster with the appropriate salary increases for this year along with 23 Active Rosters Spots; 7 Bench and Active Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, OF (5), Util, P (10 total of any type):

Stats
Hitting: R – HR – RBI – SB – OBS
Pitching: W – SV – K – ERA – WHIP

Hitters
Victor Martinez $7
Matt Wieters $3
Chris Davis $3
Carlos Pena $5
Brandon Phillips $21
Alexei Ramirez $3
Placido Polanco $3
Hanley Ramirez $25
Ian Stewart $3
Justin Upton $5
Jay Bruce $5
Jacoby Ellsbury $5
Josh Hamilton $13
Matt LaPorta $3
Andrew McCutchen $3 (plan on dropping)
Eugenio Valez $3 (plan on dropping)

Pitchers
Brian Wilson $5
Kerry Wood $5
John Lacky $23
Chris Carpenter $4
Max Scherzer $4
Kevin Slowey $3
David Price $3
Josh Johnson $3
Todd Wellemeyer $3
Glen Perkins $3
Trevor Cahill $3
Bobby Jenks $20 (plan on dropping)
Takashi Saito $3 (plan on dropping)
Jake Peavy $34 (plan on dropping but waivering on this)

If I drop all of the players I am planning on dropping I would have $97 to spend on drafting 5 players. So I would be targeting 1B, 3B, OF and Pitching. The 12 owners in this league all have great keepers (with low dollar values) so the player auction draft tend to get a bit out of control (A-Rod went for $54 last year).

I worked hard at the end of last season to get some solid keeper via free agent pickups and trades so it is hard to let some of these players go. Any advice on who I should keep and who I should drop would be greatly appreciated...I have literally revised this list 100 times so I need to put it to rest and move on! :D

Thanks in advace for anyone who gives me their opinions!!!

Thanks for the kind words and for making your post easy to follow. I'd keep the exact guys you have. Make sure in the draft you get as many steady performers as you can because you have a lot of 'flaky' hitters. Get guys that have been around a while and have been being what they do for a while -- such as Arod.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

Post subject: Re: Need advice on keepers
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:23 am 

Wow thanks for the fast response and your expert advice!!!! I look forward to reading your columns through out the season and of course I will be clicking on your sponser links each time! :D