It is currently Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 6th Keeper - Head to Head League - Help me Rhonda! (Or Grey)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:50 pm 

Love the site...
Didnt know if you might help in my decision!

I am in a 12 team keeper league...

We each keep 6 players.

My top 5 keepers are: Utley, Mig. Cabrera, Longoria, BJ Upton, and Webb.

I dont know if I should keep Vmart or Pence as my 6th keeper.

The hitting categories are:
H/AB, R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, TB, and AVG

I also have the first overall pick (starting in the seventh round) and Brian Roberts, Curtis Granderson, and Brian McCann are all available (and are being considered as my top choices) - there are also almost ALL high upside picks (like billingsley, Votto, and more long term options like j upton, bruce, price, kershaw, etc. all available too.)

I mention the first pick consideration b/c if I keep Pence, I could take McCann with the first pick, or if i keep Vmart, I could take Granderson...etc...

Please help!
THanks!!!

Post subject: Re: 6th Keeper - Head to Head League - Help me Rhonda! (Or Grey)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:06 pm 

Jobu wrote:
Love the site...
Didnt know if you might help in my decision!

We each keep 6 players.

My top 5 keepers are: Utley, Mig. Cabrera, Longoria, BJ Upton, and Webb.

I dont know if I should keep Vmart or Pence as my 6th keeper.

I also have the first overall pick (starting in the seventh round) and Brian Roberts, Curtis Granderson, and Brian McCann are all available (and are being considered as my top choices) - there are also almost ALL high upside picks (like billingsley, Votto, and more long term options like j upton, bruce, price, kershaw, etc. all available too.)

I mention the first pick consideration b/c if I keep Pence, I could take McCann with the first pick, or if i keep Vmart, I could take Granderson...etc...

Please help!
THanks!!!

First off, excellent forum name. Well played. I'd keep V-Mart and take Granderson. It's a real close call going with Granderson over Votto. But since you have Cabrera and Longoria, I'd go with Granderson. Try and get Votto with your 2nd pick, or grab Billingsley. That's assuming you have a CI slot on your team.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:27 pm 

Keep Pence. VMart is going to play mostly 1B. He could lose C eligibilty down the line. Plus Pence is less risky of a player.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:09 am 

Thanks for the replies...

Grey: Not to play devils advocate here, but can I ask why not take Brian Roberts? I know you "H - ATE" him!!!, but dont you think he has been more consistent than Granderson? He offers similar production in runs rbi and total bases, and actually offers a little more than granderson in terms of BB, lower K's, and SB...all from a more "premium" position (roberts also has better/or at least more consistent splits vs. righties and lefties)...

OF seems deep this year...with the exception of the huge run total granderson gives you (somewhere 100 -115 runs) which is offset by the 100 or so runs roberts could give you, couldnt you find similar production to granderson (20 HR 70 RBI, 50-60 BB, and 120 K's, 10 SB) later in the draft from the OF position?

(v. wells, torii hunter, lastings milledge, jason werth, andre either, etc. will all give you potentially 20 HR power, 70 RBI, 10 SB potential... and are going later than Grandy...)

I dont mean to question your answer, I just respect your opinion, and wanted to see why you think Granderson makes the cut over roberts...Do you think Granderson has solved his problems vs lefties? orrr...

Again, many thanks Sir!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:31 am 

Jobu wrote:
Thanks for the replies...

Grey: Not to play devils advocate here, but can I ask why not take Brian Roberts? I know you "H - ATE" him!!!, but dont you think he has been more consistent than Granderson? He offers similar production in runs rbi and total bases, and actually offers a little more than granderson in terms of BB, lower K's, and SB...all from a more "premium" position (roberts also has better/or at least more consistent splits vs. righties and lefties)...

OF seems deep this year...with the exception of the huge run total granderson gives you (somewhere 100 -115 runs) which is offset by the 100 or so runs roberts could give you, couldnt you find similar production to granderson (20 HR 70 RBI, 50-60 BB, and 120 K's, 10 SB) later in the draft from the OF position?

(v. wells, torii hunter, lastings milledge, jason werth, andre either, etc. will all give you potentially 20 HR power, 70 RBI, 10 SB potential... and are going later than Grandy...)

I dont mean to question your answer, I just respect your opinion, and wanted to see why you think Granderson makes the cut over roberts...Do you think Granderson has solved his problems vs lefties? orrr...

Again, many thanks Sir!!!

No problem, you can disagree. Granderson is better in Runs, push in Average, better in RBIs, better in HRs, better in triples, which all make for better TBs... Granderson and Roberts are more or less a push in BBs with Roberts getting a slight advantage. Grandy's on an ascent still at age 28, Roberts just signed a 4 year deal and he's 31. Roberts struckout rate rose last year, his home runs are in the single digits... If his speed loses one step, he becomes a .275 hitter with 20 steals. Oh, and his team is really poor. The 2nd base eligibility makes him slightly less risky to have value, but I'd prefer Granderson on my team -- his upside is greater -- especially if I already have Utley, which you do.

EDIT: Typo. Word.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:04 pm 

Jobu wrote:

We each keep 6 players.

Please ignore this if it does not apply, but in many leagues (ESPN keepers, for example) it is possible to keep fewer than the standard number of players and have "pre-round" picks before the main draft starts. Many GMs seem to be unaware of this. At any rate, I would throw back the 6th keeper in favor of a "pre-draft" pick if that is an option.

If it's not an option, I vote for Pence. V-Mart is dead to me.

Quote:

I am somewhat confused about something - isn't hits/at-bats the same as batting average? You seem to have this category listed twice. Ignoring that, you're in a total bases league, which somewhat favors (relative to "normal" fantasy rankings) speedy doubles hitters over lumbering home run hitters, both because the double (or triple) is counted as more than merely "a hit" and because more offensive categories make the homerun correspondingly less important. All of which should be taken into account...

Which is a long-winded way of saying I like Granderson here, or Votto if you're feeling punchy. In fact, I think Votto may be your best bet here, assuming you have a CI slot to fill. You're going to end up filling that CI slot with a 1B if you've got any sense, anyway, so there's no reason to shy away from making that 1B your first pick if he's the best guy on the board.

PS: every time you create a league with walks as its own category (not in a points format), Alfonso Soriano clubs a baby seal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:21 pm 

Thats an interesting point (about keeping less)...BUT - I cant keep less than 6 (or if i do, i dont get an extra early pick - i would fulfill that lost pick at the end of the draft).

And you are right...the correct categories are:
R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, TB, AVG (No, h/ab)

So to recap, I have had a couple people say KEEP VMART!
and a couple say...NO! Keep Pence.

I dont really know who offers more value going forward...my initial reaction is that OF is pretty deep this year (and there may be a bunch of guys who can offer similar production to pence (20-25 HR, 10 SB)...so I may keep vmart, but im not completely sold!

Also available with the first pick (In addition to McCann, Votto, B.roberts, Granderson) are Chris Davis, Stephen Drew, Furcal, Jeter, etc...(but I considered them lesser options than the ones previously stated)

Again, any new ideas/strategy would be appreciated - as of right now, seems to be a mixed opinion between keeping vmart/pence and seems to be advisement on drafting grandy first...