It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Couple of real hard questions+decisions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:48 pm 

First off let me tell you guys this relates to a 20 team league, H2H.

There are a ton of guys I've marked on my Watch list & are on the FA list which do you see as having good years in 09?

Andrew McCutchen (Power & playing time are no guarantee however I'm lacking good OF options)
Dexter Fowler (Reminds me of Andrew but with MLB experience)
Asdrubal Cabrera (Had a decent year w/only 352AB. Penciled in as starting 2B for Indians)
Carlos González (Trade to Rockies makes him intriguing)
Brandon Wood (Never truly got AB's, this year is no guarantee.)
Andy LaRoche (Penciled in as starting 3B for the Pirates. Also intriguing young player)
Humberto Quintero/J.R. Towles (J.R has an awful year in 08, only reason these two are considered is because my C situation is poor)
Kenji Johjima/Brian Schneider (As I said before, my C situation isn't all that great. Would fill in if Snyder struggles)

Couple of Q's
1)I took Colby Rasmus with the last pick of my draft, what kind of Impact do you guys see him having this year? The Cardinals have a ton of OF's so playing time is no guarantee.
Which is the beter option?
#1)just leave him on the roster and hope he gets a chance? or #2)I dump & attempt to pick him up when/if he gets the starting position. (I'd obviously wait until after spring training before considering any drop)

2)What kind of season do you see Wladimir Balentien having? He's currently filling my OF spot & I'm expecting something like .261, 17, 70, 22(2B), 2(3B) 12(SB), 65(R) <--(If he gets regular AB's that is)
I know he's no guarantee to get regular AB's but he's penciled in as the starting LF & competing in the WBC shouldnt hurt. I'm looking at the above OF options(McCutch, Fowler, Gonzales) as back up plans in case he gets demoted/They outperform him.

Here is my team so you guys can help me make an informed decision
C-Chris Snyder
1B-Joey Votto
2B-Aaron Hill
3B-Alex Gordon
SS-Jose Reyes
IF-Stephen Drew
LF-Jayson Werth
CF-Curtis Granderson
RF-Matt Kemp
OF(Wladimir Balentien)
UTIL-Kevin Kouzmanoff
UTIL-Casey Kotchman
BENCH-Blake DeWitt
BENCH-Colby Rasmus

*Pitchers*
SP-Adam Wainwright
SP-Zach Greinke
RP-Mike Gonzalez
RP-Hideki Okajima
P-Chris Volstad
P-Jeremy Guthrie
BENCH-Wandy Rodriguez
BENCH-Andy Pettitte

*Pitchers on the FA list I'm looking at*
Neftali Feliz (Rookie pitchers are usually a no-no, Texas pitchers spell doom as well.
Carlos Carrasco (Much talent. Phillies have done a good job not rushing him. Ballpark is a mess for pitchers not named Hamels)
Octavio Dotel (Decent RP option. Nothing more than K's +H though unless Jenks gets injured)
Dontrelle Willis (Always worth a look. Because of his contract will get an opportunity to start. I've heard good things so far about offseason workouts but you know how reliable those reports are. I will be keeping him in my sights however.)
C.J. Wilson (Was pitching last year with bone spurs in his elbow. Will compete with Francisco for a starter job & quite Frankly I need 1 more RP who gets Saves no matter how ugly they are)
Anibal Sánchez (A labrum tear in his pitching shoulder knocked him out for a while. He's just someone I'll be keeping an eye on.)
Mark Lowe(Word is he's the early candidate for Closer in Seattle, again I need Saves no matter how ugly the performance may be)
Clay Buchholz(Lackluster season last year. Another young starter worth watching.)

SP's I have are pretty solid IMO so the young guys SP's would likely be Trade bait.

Other options on the FA list that intrigue me
Dayan Viciedo
Daniel Murphy
Matt Antonelli
Sean Rodriguez
Micah Hoffpauir
David Eckstein

Again, thanks for looking & any help you can provide.

Post subject: Re: Couple of real hard questions+decisions
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:57 pm 

madgear wrote:
Andrew McCutchen (Power & playing time are no guarantee however I'm lacking good OF options)
Dexter Fowler (Reminds me of Andrew but with MLB experience)
Asdrubal Cabrera (Had a decent year w/only 352AB. Penciled in as starting 2B for Indians)
Carlos González (Trade to Rockies makes him intriguing)
Brandon Wood (Never truly got AB's, this year is no guarantee.)
Andy LaRoche (Penciled in as starting 3B for the Pirates. Also intriguing young player)
Humberto Quintero/J.R. Towles (J.R has an awful year in 08, only reason he's here is because my C situation is poor)
Kenji Johjima/Brian Schneider (As I said before, my C situation isn't all that great. Would fill in if Snyder struggles)

Good to take a chance on this year:

Asdrubal Cabrera
Carlos González
Brandon Wood
Andy LaRoche
J.R. Towles

Quote:
1)I took Colby Rasmus with the last pick of my draft, what kind of Impact do you guys see him having this year? The Cardinals have a ton of OF's so playing time is no guarantee.
Which is the beter option?

I went over him in a keeper post. Search the site. In short, I'd hold him.
Quote:
2)What kind of season do you see Wladimir Balentien having? He's currently filling my OF spot & I'm expecting something like .261, 17, 70, 22(2B), 2(3B) 12(SB), 65(R) <--(If he gets regular AB's that is)
I know he's no guarantee to get regular AB's but he's penciled in as the starting LF & competing in the WBC shouldnt hurt. I'm looking at the above options(McCutch, Fowler, Gonzales as back up plans in case he doesn't get regular AB's.)

Worth taking a shot on for this year.

Quote:
*Pitchers on the FA list I'm looking at*
Neftali Feliz (Rookie pitchers are usually a no-no, Texas Pitchers spell doom. He's quite Talented however. No lock for a job.
Carlos Carrasco (Much talent. Phillies have done a good job not rushing him. Ballpark is a mess for pitchers not named Hamels)
Octavio Dotel (Decent RP option. Nothing more than K's +H though unless Jenks gets injured)
Dontrelle Willis (Always worth a look. Because of his contract will get an opportunity to start. I've heard good things so far about offseason workouts but you know how reliable those reports are. I will be keeping him in my sights however.)
C.J. Wilson (Was pitching last year with bone spurs in his elbow. Will compete with Francisco for a starter job & quite Frankly I need 1 more RP who gets Saves no matter how ugly they are)
Anibal Sánchez (A labrum tear in his pitching shoulder knocked him out for a while. He's just someone I'll be keeping an eye on.)
Mark Lowe(Word is he's the early candidate for Closer in Seattle, again I need Saves no matter how ugly the performance may be)
Clay Buchholz(Lackluster season last year. Another young starter worth watching.)

Other options on the FA list that intrigue me
Dayan Viciedo
Daniel Murphy
Matt Antonelli
Sean Rodriguez
Micah Hoffpauir
David Eckstein

Carlos Carrasco
Matt Antonelli

Are names I like from those above. I went over a lot of these players on the blog.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:35 pm 

This Q intrigued me:If you were personally running the Team who would you Add/Drop from the team? and why?

I have very little Bench Depth as
1)Dewitt is my insurance for Hill
2)Rasmus intrigues me and I don't have any other OF option(I'm basically stuck hoping Funny named Wladimir learns to consistently hit from now till opening day.

I got Wandy Late and will be giving him every chance to prove me right(or wrong) that he will build on a good 08.
I personally think Pettitte will benefit from not having Wall fearing Abreu & stone handed Giambi. Couple that with him not trying to carry the Yankees pitching staff(And pitching injured as well) and I think he will put up a solid 09 although he is nearing the end of his career & somebody I'm certainly not depending on.

Bonus Q
Am I wrong in worrying about Montero stealing too many AB's from Snyder? (Bill james, CHONE, MARCEL all have him getting mroe than 290+AB's)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:34 am 

madgear wrote:
This Q intrigued me:If you were personally running the Team who would you Add/Drop from the team? and why?

I have very little Bench Depth as
1)Dewitt is my insurance for Hill
2)Rasmus intrigues me and I don't have any other OF option(I'm basically stuck hoping Funny named Wladimir learns to consistently hit from now till opening day.

I got Wandy Late and will be giving him every chance to prove me right(or wrong) that he will build on a good 08.
I personally think Pettitte will benefit from not having Wall fearing Abreu & stone handed Giambi. Couple that with him not trying to carry the Yankees pitching staff(And pitching injured as well) and I think he will put up a solid 09 although he is nearing the end of his career & somebody I'm certainly not depending on.

Bonus Q
Am I wrong in worrying about Montero stealing too many AB's from Snyder? (Bill james, CHONE, MARCEL all have him getting mroe than 290+AB's)

Rasmus is a lot more interesting than DeWitt. DeWitt though has a job right now. Rasmus is much better than DeWitt though. It's a tough choice. I'd wait until the last possible second to see if the Cards are giving Rasmus the job.

Montero will probably steal a bunch of at-bats from Snyder, but Snyder should still be usable.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:11 pm 

I'm pretty stuck here..just seen Jeff Clement on Waivers..
I don't want to drop Dewitt(insurance for Hill & he's a Starter) or Rasmus(Upside & he's my backup for Balentien) so It's either Drop pettitte or stay put..gah!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:42 pm 

I'd stay put.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:50 pm 

Couple of updates
Dewitt was dropped for D.Murphy
Belentien was dropped for Crede

Reasoning behind all this
1)Dewitt no longer has a job, Murphy declared the starter. Pretty obvious. Murphy Didn't look amazing but he's my 4th OF, I just need capable.
With Rasmus on the Bench I can wait it out until he gets regular playing time. ("Cardinals manager Tony La Russa is considering prospect Colby Rasmus for the ninth spot in the batting order this season.")
Encouraging, yet I still expect him to be in the minors to start the year.

2)Fell pray to the name of Crede. Do I think he will hold up for a full season? I'd be insane to. I'll wait for the hot start & flip.
Griffey signing on means he likely DH's+takes AB's from Balentien in LF. (Visa problems to start the year certainly didn't help)
I also doubt Crede was going to be left on the FA list much longer, Belentien will likely still be available to begin the year.

*Old team*
Snyder
Votto
Hill
Gordon
Reyes
IF:Drew
(LF)Werth
(CF)Granderson
(RF)Kemp
(OF)Balentien
UTIL:Kouzmanoff
UTIL:Kotchman
Bench:Rasmus
Bench:Dewitt

*New team*
Snyder
Votto
Hill
Gordon
Reyes
(LF)Werth
(CF)Granderson
(RF)Kemp
(OF)Murphy
Bench:Crede

I personally like the new team better but I'm open all opinions/suggestions.

*Notable players still on Waivers*
Dallas McPherson
Todd Helton
Luis Castillo
Dexter Fowler
Gaby Sánchez
Carlos González
Brandon Wood
Andrew McCutchen
Andy LaRoche
Josh Anderson
Wladimir Balentien

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:58 pm 

madgear wrote:
*New team*
Snyder
Votto
Hill
Gordon
Reyes
(LF)Werth
(CF)Granderson
(RF)Kemp
(OF)Murphy
Bench:Crede

I personally like the new team better but I'm open all opinions/suggestions.

*Notable players still on Waivers*
Dallas McPherson
Todd Helton
Luis Castillo
Dexter Fowler
Gaby Sánchez
Carlos González
Brandon Wood
Andrew McCutchen
Andy LaRoche
Josh Anderson
Wladimir Balentien

Crede's really boring. Try McPherson, Sanchez or Wood. Dealer's choice.