It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Keepers/closers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:32 am 

I play in a slightly odd league in that there are zero add drops at any time. Everything is done through the auction and trade and a minor league roster and it is a keeper league with contracts. There are 11 teams in the league. A roto league with a first half and second half with standing are reset to zero after the all star game.

That being said, what should be my strategy be for picking up saves?

Obviously getting a papelbon, K-rod, Mariano, etc would be the ideal situation but I am not sure they are worth the money I would have to spend to get them.

We have a 38 man roster. 2 Catchers, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, MI, CI, four OF, DH, six SP, two RP and one SP/RP. A minor league that can be made up of anyone in the world including players on a MLB roster.

With no add/drops this affects everything. I have to carry enough depth to work through some injuries and I am struggling to figure out how to handle picking up saves with spending top dollar for those aforementioned closers.

What would be your strategy? I am not sure I can afford the roster space for a Brad Zeigler of 08.. know what I mean?

Post subject: Re: Keepers/closers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:48 am 

If you still want to go the cheap route, I'd sugest that you make sure to handcuff the cheap closers you get. If you just target a bunch of randoms that may get the job, you could end up with several that stay in the 8th inning all year. By staying with a couple guys on the same teams, you're sure to lock in the saves from a particular team. Also, check how many saves has won the category, or been competitive, the past few seasons (if available). Then you know how many you need to target to get the required points in the category.

Also, getting guys like DeRosa, with multiple positional eligibility, as backup guys can free up an extra spot or two to grab another potential saves guy.

1st $ this year, additional $ are following years. Italics = cannot be kept past this yr. Bold = have to be kept or pay penalty

C
1B Joey Votto ($17)
2B Ben Zobrist ($22/$22)
SS Starlin Castro ($9/$13/$17)
3b David Wright ($34/$34)
MI
CI Pablo Sandoval ($17)
OF Jason Werth ($3)
OF Alex Rios ($7/$7)
OF Carlos Beltran ($15/$15)
OF
OF
Util Anthony Rizzo ($1/$5/$9)
P Max Scherzer ($1)
P Jordan Zimmermann ($1)
P Yu Darvish ($13/$13)
P Casey Janssen ($6/$6)
P Steve Cishek ($1/$1)
P Rafael Soriano ($4/$4)
P Joel Hanrahan ($13/$13)
P
P
B Todd Frazier ($2/$2)
B
B
B
DL
DL
DL

Post subject: Re: Keepers/closers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:50 am 

BBQKing wrote:
If you still want to go the cheap route, I'd sugest that you make sure to handcuff the cheap closers you get. If you just target a bunch of randoms that may get the job, you could end up with several that stay in the 8th inning all year. By staying with a couple guys on the same teams, you're sure to lock in the saves from a particular team. Also, check how many saves has won the category, or been competitive, the past few seasons (if available). Then you know how many you need to target to get the required points in the category.

Also, getting guys like DeRosa, with multiple positional eligibility, as backup guys can free up an extra spot or two to grab another potential saves guy.

My only problem with this strategy is since there are zero add drops, I need to have depth at ALL the positions....

This is my lineup..
Votto, Joey
Theriot, Ryan
Rodriguez, Alex
Escobar, Yunel
Weeks, Rickie
Ethier, Andre
Maybin, Cameron
Quentin, Carlos
Soriano, Alfonso
Headley, Chase
Beckett, Josh
Buehrle, Mark
Cook, Aaron
Hoffman, Trevor
Kuroda, Hiroki
Miller, Andrew
Cruz, Nelson
Hall, Bill
McCutchen, Andrew

I was an expansion owner last year and had to take the best that was available. I'm having a tough time deciding how to approach this... If I knew if, headley, Maybin and McCutchen are going to turn out even to be average or slightly above average, I wouldn't worry so much about depth but it would kill me if none of those players are starting..... I can't wait for the season to get here...