All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Contracts league keepers
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:02 pm 

League rules:
14-team league
Runs, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG for hitters, W, K, S, ERA, WHIP for pitchers
9 hitters, 8 pitchers, 7 bench
The price listed for a guy is the 2009 price. If I sign the player for 2010, it's $6 more.
$260 cap

I have:
Hanley Ramirez, Joe Nathan, Kelly Johnson, and Victor Martinez locked in for $82 total.

Choices:
Alex Gordon 13
Damon 13
McLouth 5
Giambi 6
Lackey 26
Felix 24
Jurrjens 5
Jon Sanchez 5

I figure McLouth is a must. Felix and Lackey might turn out to be modest bargains (just because of the amount of talent that will be out of the pool and probably locked up at below-market prices), but Lackey and Felix don't qualify as great deals. I just can't figure out how to play this.

Post subject: Re: Contracts league keepers
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:53 am 

tedge wrote:
League rules:
14-team league
Runs, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG for hitters, W, K, S, ERA, WHIP for pitchers
9 hitters, 8 pitchers, 7 bench
The price listed for a guy is the 2009 price. If I sign the player for 2010, it's $6 more.
$260 cap

I have:
Hanley Ramirez, Joe Nathan, Kelly Johnson, and Victor Martinez locked in for $82 total.

Choices:
Alex Gordon 13
Damon 13
McLouth 5
Giambi 6
Lackey 26
Felix 24
Jurrjens 5
Jon Sanchez 5

I figure McLouth is a must. Felix and Lackey might turn out to be modest bargains (just because of the amount of talent that will be out of the pool and probably locked up at below-market prices), but Lackey and Felix don't qualify as great deals. I just can't figure out how to play this.

Seems to me you can keep unlimited players. If not, how many guys can you keep in total? What's Kelly Johnson's price? Victor Martinez?

McLouth is definitely a must, but I need to know how many guys you can keep.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:52 pm 

I suck at life. There was a line somewhere about getting to keep between zero and four players from the list and I lopped it out. Here's the long explanation:

We can have up to 8 keepers. I did a horrible job in my first run at issuing contracts. Our contracts do a $4 price hike for the first year, $6 for the second year, and $10 for the third. I thought the whole league would be giving out 2-year contracts, so I figured the inflation was worth it. If a contract runs out, that player must go back to the auction the next year.

I actually have:
Hanley Ramirez, $11
Kelly Johnson $11
Victor Martinez $28
Joe Nathan $21
and Rich Hill $22.

All deals expire this year, except Hanley who's locked through 2012. If you cut a guy under contract, you get 50% (rounded up to the nearest dollar) in dead money on your cap. I got that $82 figure by assuming I cut Rich Hill, so I'd have $11 dead and $71 tied up in the other four guys above. So before answering the keeper question, I guess that's the first thing to really discuss: if anyone should be cut.

I think Rich Hill is a cut because a) he sucks, and b) even if I wanted him, I could probably buy him at auction for $11 or less, so I'd break even or save a few bucks.

I feel like Martinez, while obviously expensive at 28, couldn't be had at $14 in our league. It's loaded with midwesterners, so those guys seem to see a little more bidding, and Mauer, McCann, and Martin are all under contract already.

Kelly Johnson at $11 isn't anything to get excited about either, but I only free up $5 if I ditch him. I'd do it if I had someone on the list I felt great about, but I really don't so I think I leave him there. He performs reasonably well in OBP/SLG for a 2B and should put up 150-160 combined runs/rbi and about ten steals.

So then there's the list:
Giambi 1b $6
A Gordon 3b $13
McLouth OF $5
Lackey SP $26
Felix SP $24
Jurrjens SP $5
Jon Sanchez SP $5

Assuming I cut Rich Hill, I can give contracts to anywhere from zero to four of these guys. My continued hangup is OBP/SLG as offensive categories. I feel like it gives an extra boost to highend hitters, who might normally be 3-3.5 category players, but become 4-category players. With that in mind, I'm wondering if I don't fill out as much of my lineup as possible, then spend the rest of my hitting budget on a couple huge bats. ARod, Sizemore, Berkman, Soriano, and Aramis are all guaranteed to hit the auction. Miguel Cabrera, Beltran, Braun, and Teix will likely be thrown back too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:57 pm 

tedge wrote:
I suck at life. There was a line somewhere about getting to keep between zero and four players from the list and I lopped it out. Here's the long explanation:

We can have up to 8 keepers. I did a horrible job in my first run at issuing contracts. Our contracts do a $4 price hike for the first year, $6 for the second year, and $10 for the third. I thought the whole league would be giving out 2-year contracts, so I figured the inflation was worth it. If a contract runs out, that player must go back to the auction the next year.

I actually have:
Hanley Ramirez, $11
Kelly Johnson $11
Victor Martinez $28
Joe Nathan $21
and Rich Hill $22.

All deals expire this year, except Hanley who's locked through 2012. If you cut a guy under contract, you get 50% (rounded up to the nearest dollar) in dead money on your cap. I got that $82 figure by assuming I cut Rich Hill, so I'd have $11 dead and $71 tied up in the other four guys above. So before answering the keeper question, I guess that's the first thing to really discuss: if anyone should be cut.

I think Rich Hill is a cut because a) he sucks, and b) even if I wanted him, I could probably buy him at auction for $11 or less, so I'd break even or save a few bucks.

I feel like Martinez, while obviously expensive at 28, couldn't be had at $14 in our league. It's loaded with midwesterners, so those guys seem to see a little more bidding, and Mauer, McCann, and Martin are all under contract already.

Kelly Johnson at $11 isn't anything to get excited about either, but I only free up $5 if I ditch him. I'd do it if I had someone on the list I felt great about, but I really don't so I think I leave him there. He performs reasonably well in OBP/SLG for a 2B and should put up 150-160 combined runs/rbi and about ten steals.

So then there's the list:
Giambi 1b $6
A Gordon 3b $13
McLouth OF $5
Lackey SP $26
Felix SP $24
Jurrjens SP $5
Jon Sanchez SP $5

Assuming I cut Rich Hill, I can give contracts to anywhere from zero to four of these guys. My continued hangup is OBP/SLG as offensive categories. I feel like it gives an extra boost to highend hitters, who might normally be 3-3.5 category players, but become 4-category players. With that in mind, I'm wondering if I don't fill out as much of my lineup as possible, then spend the rest of my hitting budget on a couple huge bats. ARod, Sizemore, Berkman, Soriano, and Aramis are all guaranteed to hit the auction. Miguel Cabrera, Beltran, Braun, and Teix will likely be thrown back too.

Thanks for the further explanation.

I'd cut V-Mart. Sure, he's great, but what did Doumit go for last year? What did Shoppach go for? My point is there's more catchers to be found and for much cheaper. V-Mart gives you back $14 then you should be able to find a usable catcher for under $10.

Next, I'd still definitely hold onto McLouth. Then, I'd let everyone else go back into the pool of players. I considered Jurrjens, Sanchez and Gordon, and I like all of them, but I think you can get them back for around the same price. I also like F-Her and Lackey but I feel like they can also be had for cheaper at the auction and if not it's not a big deal. Just get other pitchers.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.