It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Dynasty League: Desired Draft Position
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:53 am 

Hello again!

Long time no talk. Hope all is well out there to all my Razzfriends. I have been in hiding since my abysmal showing in the RCL last year... I blame having too many other leagues and autodrafting. I love post-excuses.

Anyway... Grey: I am starting up a 12 team, 100% keeper "Dynasty" league this year. I am interested to know what draft position you'd be aiming for in this type of format. Scoring is H2H, points based, and SP,RP and position players hold roughly the same value. For quick reference, the top 5 hitters last year in order: Wright, Sizemore, Reyes, Pujols, Hanley. top 5 pitchers: K-Rod, CC, Halladay, Lincecum, Cliff Lee.

I am thinking I'd love a top 3 pick to ensure I drafted one of my two heartthrobs, Reyes or Wright. But, the 12/13 back to back pick is also appealing.

In this format, old veterans are going to fall quite a ways.

Thanks for input!

Post subject: Re: Dynasty League: Desired Draft Position
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:30 pm 

Salty! Good to see you again.

You can choose your draft spot? If you want Reyes or Wright, then you need the 3 pick just to be safe. If you don't need one of those guys, you should take the 5th pick.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:46 pm 

You can somewhat choose your draft spot. What we do, and it has worked well, is require everyone to pay by a certain date. If you do, you get 10 "balls" in the lottery. If you pay late, you don't get as many balls in the lottery. This helps get people to pay on time. As your team is pulled in the lottery, you get to choose draft position based on what is still available. You could get to choose first and decide to take the last pick if you wanted.

You seem to like the #5 spot this year, even in this keeper/dynasty format. Would you be confident in picking Pujols knowing it wasn't just for 2009? Do the arm-falling off stories from last year worry you in the least?

I am thinking that a #7 pick should guarentee me either Grady or Braun (who would be money in a dynasty format) and put me in good position for Kinsler or Teixera in the 2nd. If I go with a top 3 pick, I am looking at maybe Morneau or Carlos Lee at the end of the 2nd round.

Then again, David Wright is my personal lord and savior and Jose Reyes is the greatest athlete in the history of man.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:06 pm 

SaltyBiscuits wrote:
You seem to like the #5 spot this year, even in this keeper/dynasty format. Would you be confident in picking Pujols knowing it wasn't just for 2009? Do the arm-falling off stories from last year worry you in the least?

I am thinking that a #7 pick should guarentee me either Grady or Braun (who would be money in a dynasty format) and put me in good position for Kinsler or Teixera in the 2nd. If I go with a top 3 pick, I am looking at maybe Morneau or Carlos Lee at the end of the 2nd round.

When Pujols said he wasn't healthy, he won the MVP. Now he's saying he is completely healthy. I like Sizemore and Braun a lot too, so I wouldn't argue with your choice there. I don't like Morneau in the 2nd though.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.