It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: 10 keeper league - who do I keep?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:01 pm 

In a 12-team league where I can keep 10 guys every year. Going to have a difficult time deciding on #8 thru 10.

Here are guys I'm committed to 100%

1B - Texiera
2B - Utley
SS - Reyes
CF - J. Hamilton
RF - M. Kemp
SP - J. Santana

Here are the guys I'm leaning towards for the next two spots

LF - Jay Bruce ( has enough games to qualify next year)
RP - K Rod

And to fill the last two spots I'm stuck debating about 5 guys.

Util - M. Ramirez
SP - S. Kazmir
SP - D. Price
Util - C. Granderson
SP - E. Santana

Based on Ramirez's performance in the last two months I feel like I have to keep him, and I want to keep Price based on potential.
I can also trade players to teams for draft picks.
Who should I keep, who should I try to trade? Maybe now is the perfect time to trade Ramirez and keep Kazmir?

2B -
3B - Bautista
SS- Reyes
LF - Jennings
CF - Kemp
RF - Cargo
Util -
Bench -
SP - Lincecum, Kennedy, M. Moore
RP -

Post subject: Re: 10 keeper league - who do I keep?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:51 pm 

vanwill9 wrote:
In a 12-team league where I can keep 10 guys every year. Going to have a difficult time deciding on #8 thru 10.

Here are guys I'm committed to 100%

1B - Texiera
2B - Utley
SS - Reyes
CF - J. Hamilton
RF - M. Kemp
SP - J. Santana

Here are the guys I'm leaning towards for the next two spots

LF - Jay Bruce ( has enough games to qualify next year)
RP - K Rod

And to fill the last two spots I'm stuck debating about 5 guys.

Util - M. Ramirez
SP - S. Kazmir
SP - D. Price
Util - C. Granderson
SP - E. Santana

Based on Ramirez's performance in the last two months I feel like I have to keep him, and I want to keep Price based on potential.

I can also trade players to teams for draft picks.

Who should I keep, who should I try to trade? Maybe now is the perfect time to trade Ramirez and keep Kazmir?

I have no idea how long you can keep these guys or if there's any penalty to keeping them, so I'm going to assume you can keep them forever with no penalty.

You have a lot of tough decisions with lots of great potential keepers. I think we're going to need to do this advice in steps. First step, you need to shop everyone in the last tier plus K-Rod to see what draft picks they can get you. If you can snag decent draft picks, then trade them. If you can't get draft picks that you feel they are worth (say 2nd or 3rd round), then you need to choose on some keepers.

Personally, I would not keep a closer with the potential guys you have. K-Rod's stats look great because of saves. He was lucky, you need to chuck him back. You have to keep Manny. He's about as steady as they come. You need to keep Ervin Santana. This year wasn't a fluke. He's young and he can be this good for many years. Finally, you have to keep David Price. He's going to be special. But ultimately you have too many great players (a good spot to be in) so you need to trade some for draft picks. Let me know how it goes.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:30 pm 

Despite the fact that he just struck out JD Drew with the bases loaded, I wouldn't keep Price over Kazmir. At this point, there's still a pretty decent chance he's Clay Buccholz, while Kazmir has established himself as a great (if injury prone) major league starter.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:26 am 

About to pull a trade that will solve my problems.
A few things. We use 9 statistical categories for hitters and pitchers, making closers a little more valuable I feel. On top of era and whip, we also have K/BB and k/9.
Grey, what do you think of this deal.

Manny
Kazmir
D. Price
8th
9th
12th round picks

for

Lincecum
2nd round pick
2 5th round picks (he already has one from another team)

I'm likely gonna do it. This lets me also keep E. Santana and gives me 8 picks in the first 5 rounds.

2B -
3B - Bautista
SS- Reyes
LF - Jennings
CF - Kemp
RF - Cargo
Util -
Bench -
SP - Lincecum, Kennedy, M. Moore
RP -

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:52 pm 

I like Price a lot, but I still would do this deal. This could help you incredibly if you grab the right players with those extra draft picks.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.