It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Two difficult keeper situations
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:39 pm 

Both 5x5 roto leagues, but the first is an auction, and the second is a regular draft. The first league requires five keepers, the second four. Auction prices mentioned are 2009 values (with the year-to-year raise already factored in).

Auction league

Obvious keepers:

Adrian Gonzalez $14
Ervin Santana $6
Joakim Soria $12

Probably:

Jake Peavy $25

The Rest:

Stephen Drew $11
Chris Davis $10
B.J. Ryan $18
Brandon Webb $32
Kevin Kouzmanoff $11

The rest of my players are either too expensive or too worthless. I'm probably going to take Davis or Drew.

The harder decision is in my other league.

Keeper #1: Evan Longoria
Keeper #2: Lance Berkman

Other options for #3 and #4:

Scott Kazmir
Ryan Ludwick
Rick Ankiel
Chris Davis
Matt Kemp
Erik Bedard
Chris Volstad
Jim Thome
Corey Hart

Part of my thinks I should just take Kemp and Hart, but I might kick myself for giving up Kazmir at some point, and some of these other guys are promising (and Thome still has something left in him).

I suppose I'm really choosing two of the four: Kazmir, Kemp, Davis, Hart

Edit: For the second league, you can keep the same four guys every year (and all four are required). For the first league, every year means a $5 raise. The auction league also has more active roster slots, with four outfielders and MI and CI positions to fill.

Post subject: Re: Two difficult keeper situations
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:20 pm 

NetOwl wrote:
Both 5x5 roto leagues, but the first is an auction, and the second is a regular draft. The first league requires five keepers, the second four. Auction prices mentioned are 2009 values (with the year-to-year raise already factored in).

Auction league

Obvious keepers:

Adrian Gonzalez $14
Ervin Santana $6
Joakim Soria $12

Probably:

Jake Peavy $25

The Rest:

Stephen Drew $11
Chris Davis $10
B.J. Ryan $18
Brandon Webb $32
Kevin Kouzmanoff $11

The rest of my players are either too expensive or too worthless. I'm probably going to take Davis or Drew.

The harder decision is in my other league.

Keeper #1: Evan Longoria
Keeper #2: Lance Berkman

Other options for #3 and #4:

Scott Kazmir
Ryan Ludwick
Rick Ankiel
Chris Davis
Matt Kemp
Erik Bedard
Chris Volstad
Jim Thome
Corey Hart

Part of my thinks I should just take Kemp and Hart, but I might kick myself for giving up Kazmir at some point, and some of these other guys are promising (and Thome still has something left in him).

I suppose I'm really choosing two of the four: Kazmir, Kemp, Davis, Hart

Edit: For the second league, you can keep the same four guys every year (and all four are required). For the first league, every year means a $5 raise. The auction league also has more active roster slots, with four outfielders and MI and CI positions to fill.

In the first leagues, I would also keep:

Adrian Gonzalez $14
Ervin Santana $6
Joakim Soria $12
Jake Peavy $25
Stephen Drew $11
Chris Davis $10

In the 2nd league, I think you have to keep Kemp and Hart. They're too well-balanced to throw back. Sure, Hart gets first pitch swing crazy, but he can still give you 20/20 with fair peripherals. Kemp's a beast and should definitely be kept.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:17 am 

Thank you.

I've been agonizing over the second league for a while now, as I'll feel bad losing Kazmir.

I only get five keepers in the auction league, though, so would you take Davis over Drew? That's what my gut says, but I've been very, very wrong before. (If this were a points league, I'd take Drew in an instant.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:20 pm 

NetOwl wrote:
I only get five keepers in the auction league, though, so would you take Davis over Drew? That's what my gut says, but I've been very, very wrong before. (If this were a points league, I'd take Drew in an instant.)

I think you're in a bit of a win-win situation. I like them both a lot. I think they're very close to each other moving forward with advantages and disadvantages for each. Davis is a lot more sought-after so you can trade him for more. Davis has a higher ceiling. Drew has less upside but much less downside. Drew has better position eligibility. In your case, I'd go for the more upside of Davis.

If you want me to look at your team, post the team. Don't post a link to another site where the team is.
Have you given me all the info I need to judge your team? The number of teams in the league is a good start for the big overall questions.
Is your league H2H? Roto?
I don't know who's on your waivers. Don't just ask me who you should pick up. Give me names to choose from.
If you only have one team, post your team in your signature with the league parameters.
I don't know every single matchup for next week, so if you want me to choose a player for the following week and you think the matchups are important, tell me who they're facing.