There is something to be said about doing your job, and then saying “good job but the regular guy is back, and he’s taking your job back.” Mark Melancon filled in swimmingly for the injured Jason Grilli and his line is better than most closers in the F-tier of my rankings. To his dismay, Grilli is back, and is being eased back into his role. Is it fair? Probably. Does it suck for Melancon stat vultures? Most definitely. Going back exactly one year, when Melancon became a fantasy stalwart on our rosters, he has an ERA under 2, 25 Saves and 17 Holds. That’s all after Grilli went down last year. Besides the K factor, which is in Grilli’s favor, Melancon is basically being grounded for getting only an A- in English class… but but but it’s still and A!, I’m sure he’s muttering. But, I’m rooting for Grilli, dat journeyman done good, saved all those kids from dat thang. Whatever that thing was. You know the story. No? Well make one up, tell your friends it happened, and let’s start a rumor. So good luck Jason Grilli, just make sure to look both ways when you cross the street. Oh, we totally forgot about your 3 BS in April. Cause you’re back here forever. Subliminal message: Hold onto Melancon.
- I am truly liking what I am seeing from Huston Street, and it may not be a fluke. Smokey did some digging…o k I actually hired someone to dig for me. Since last year on this date, he has 37 saves and only 1 blown save. Last year was lost, because he decided to not strike anyone out. This year, the number has spiked to 10+/9, which is on par with his career average.
- The Hawk named LaTroy was taken out of a critical game last night so someone else could blow the lead for him. So Boone Logan did, and LaTroy bought him a new pair of spats. Hawk’s K rate is a desperate cry for attention or a babysitter. Ottavino and Brother’s should and could be next up. Roster plan accordingly.
- Maybe it’s coincidence, maybe it’s just that North of the border flair, but since Casey Janssen returned from the DL on May 11th, the Blue Jays are 13-2. Casey Has 7 saves and a unscathed ERA. Now it may mean nothing, but they also have 23 holds as a team in that same period. So the stats are warm and cuddly right now in the town vacated by Nick the
PodcastRadio Host… (Also, if you haven’t check out Razzball Radio, you should.
- Tommy Hunter went on the DL and Zach Britton has jumped and said “I can do it coach!” It may be a joke, but everytime he gets a save, I hear that the Oriole’s pen calls them Kapowski’s. I guess they forgot all about the summer it was all Carosi. In a non-saturday morning note, Hunter is already throwing and ahead of schedule, so Buck may go hunting again.
What’s better than having the comfort of having a great stand-by at home? Nothing. It helps you, it lives for you and gosh darn’it, you can do with it as you please, under the jurisdictions of the law. It’s got a nice pre-kids body and a penchant for baking. So we have the roster stalwarts that you want to have and hold for this season forward.
2. Kenley Jansen – (Chris Perez, Brian Wilson)
These guys are fun, and maybe some day you’ll want to marry them, but right now they have their flaws and you’re not sure if you wanna take them home to mom. So you give them the special booty-call ring designation on your phone, and you get everything that marriage can’t give you. Stats are the important thing here, and lots of them, no obligations. No alimony attached, just straight unadulterated stats.
Should be self-explanatory. There is no comfort in this grouping, along with the fear of looking suspicious when buying a new shovel and some lyme when all that you wanna do is plant a new butterfly bush. The jib? The newly injured replacements are here or just they’re just the unproven. All should be laid to rest, unless desperation or injury becomes you. Don’t get comfy, death or stat-suicide may be closer than it appears.