Ah, charts with actual stats are so much nicer to look at. The first bullpen report of the year was like reading Playboy in braile, ’cause technically we shouldn’t need both hands, but we do. The cream is rising to the proverbial top when you look at the chart below. The familiar names are settling in, and if you drafted some of them, or they have been mentioned in the closenado of 2014 for save chances, they probably are owned, were owned or some semblance there in between. Middle relievers are like that old cartoon Pound Puppies, yeah they are cute and good ‘n all, but they are still living in the pound in a cartoon. No homes to go to, no freedom… Sad, but as kids we were fooled. Yea I just went on a diatribe about Pound Puppies, deal wit it. Relievers are much the same, they never really have a home unless we give them one. So give relievers a chance, that’s all we are saying. So enjoy the chart and the tid-bits I have dug up.
- Cody Allen has ridden the pre-season helium of the “sub to Axford” to not allowing an earned run in 8 2/3 innings. If we are ranking MR, Cody’s name has to be in the top-3. If not, the list sucks and is null and void.
- One name that you don’t see on the list is Joel Peralta, since he has only appeared in 3 games, where TB was actually winning at the time and is lying in the weeds with only 2 Holds because of it. He is still the same effective reliever, holding batters to a .091 BAA. Hold is a fickle stat, so if the options are there that are doing better, treat it like an SAT question– skip him and come back later.
- The Yankees have over-taken the Dodgers for the team Holds lead. Funny, they lose their closer, and everyone gets all shuffled up with roles. Shawn Kelley is doing an admirable job as fill-in, and now I am sure that I have given them the maloik.
- Quick, name the highest WAR’d RP that isn’t a closer? Google search Adam Ottavino. It is a true testament to a RP that has zero wins in relief and zero saves to be that high on the list. Just for the sake that I am assuming you are lazy only K-Rod, Kimbrel, Uehara and Holland are ahead of him. Pretty crazy.
- To continue on the Ottavino love train of RP with 10 or more appearances, only Ottavino, Cody Allen, Junichi Tazawa and Will Smith have a 0.00 ERA. Not surprisingly all have a K/9 of over 10.
|PLAYER||HOLDS/BS||App With Lead||Inherited Runners||IR Scored|