We at Razzball realize that exporting our views across the country has damaging consequences on the blogosphere. To help make amends, we are reaching out to leading team blogs and featuring their locally blogged answers to pressing 2012 fantasy baseball questions regarding their team. We feel this approach will be fresher, more sustainable, and require less energy consumption (for us anyway). The 2012 Royals Fantasy Baseball Preview comes courtesy of Jeff Zimmerman from Royals Review.
1) Okay, let’s of excitement from me to you for the Royals. Frankly, I’m joyous about a bunch of these guys. With that said (here comes the downer-shizz), two guys I worry about are Frenchy and Alex Gordon. I’m sure Gordon will be fine from a real baseball standpoint, so I’ll leave him alone. Frenchy though. 22 steals? That seems like his ceiling tore off its roof and constructed a new ceiling 100 feet above the last ceiling. Is there any chance he even comes close to 22 steals again?
Not 22, but don’t expect a huge drop off. Ned Yost loves stolen bases, so Frenchy will continue to get the green light.
2) Joakim Soria gets 20 saves — true or false and why? Jonathan Broxton gets 15 saves — true or false and why? Greg Holland is actually next in line — true or false and why?
Soria – yes on 20 saves. He pitched a ton better once he dropped his cutter after the first 2 months. Broxton – no on 15 saves. He is a huge wild card since it has been over a year since he has pitched decently. Holland is currently behind Soria and Broxton as the 7th inning guy according to Yost. He was the best pitcher of the 3 last season. A reliever to keep an eye on is Kelvin Herrera. He has dominated in the minors the last couple of season.
3) I already went over my Eric Hosmer 2012 fantasy. Care to add anything?
2 additions. First, Kaufman Stadium, suppresses HRs for LHH quite a bit. Only 3 of the 19 HRs Hosmer hit last season were at home. Second, the walk rate, especially when removing the IBB, was historically low for player of his ability and age.
4) Lorenzo Cain plays this year, right? This isn’t just you guys teasing us again with his upside, is it? What do you expect of him?
Right now the team has slated him to start in CF. The team has stated long term plans for him leading off. I expect around a 0.280 AVG with 20 SBs. The big question will be his power. He displayed HR power for the first time with 16 HRs in AAA (PCL). If he brings this power to the majors, expect HRs in the mid-teens.
5) The recent crop of Royal prospects has created a sense of hope for long-time Royals fans. What is the most likely unintended consequence of this hope?
A) An insatiable demand for throwback Hal McRae and U.L. Washington jerseys.
B) Royal fans actually start to enjoy games vs. medicate themselves with sabermetrics (see Bill James, Rob Neyer, Joe Poz, etc.)
C) A resurgences of awful pun headlines about Royals wins like KC Masterpiece and KC Gives <team> The Royal Treatment.
D) Owner David Glass is so moved by the team’s success that he decides to break from Wal*Mart tradition and offer health care to employees.
B – The Royals maybe the most sabermetically followed team.