An optimist once said, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” It was so inspiring that no one followed up with the relevant question, “Did life also give me sugar because, otherwise, this lemonade is going to taste like crap?”
There are plenty of lemons in baseball*. Fantasy Razzball is the sugar that helps make them as satisfying as a cool, refreshing drink.
* There were three players whose last name was lemon – pitcher Bob Lemon and OFs Jim and Chet Lemon – but all three were good to very good players. As was Hank Sauer. Harry ‘Stinky’ Davis did stink though.
This post ushers in the 4th annual installment of Fantasy Razzball - the game where the goal is to manage the worst fantasy baseball team possible. We have gone from one ‘blogger’ league in 2008 to 16 leagues in 2010. At this rate of 16x growth every 2 years, we will have over a million leagues by 2016. So it’s best to get in now while the competition isn’t as heavy.
- 10 Team Leagues, MLB universe, uses Yahoo! position eligibility
- Weekly Roster Changes (leaves you time to lavish on your Daily Leagues)
- C / 1B / 2B / SS / 3B / CI / MI / 5 OF / 9 P / 5 bench
- 1,250 innings cap. No minimum IP. No AB mins/maxes
- We’ll be commissioner of all leagues and will designate one person per league to help arrange a draft date that works for everyone.
- Leagues will be filled on a first come, first serve basis. If you want to play in the same league with a couple friends, no problem. Just submit the e-mail addresses at the same time.
- Each league will have four ‘dummy’ teams that merely serve to draft the top players. This helps minimize the damage for anyone who misses the draft and forgot to update their draft list.
- 1 team per person.
- Collusion between teams is grounds for disqualification from winning the grand prize.
- Blogs/sports sites may have multiple participants but one team per writer. These blogs will be noted in the standings and during periodic standings posts. It is expected – but not required – for some quid pro quo mention of Razzball on your site.
- Hitter Stats
- AB = +2
- H = -3
- R = -4
- HR = -6
- RBI = -4
- K = +2
- Pitcher Stats
- IP = -1
- HR = +4
- L = +8
- K = -1
- ER = +1.5
- H+BB = +1
The point structure makes it so that about 2/3 of the league’s hitters as well as just about every pitcher has positive value. So leaving a roster spot open or filled by a guy who plays once a week will hurt your team.
An autographed baseball by Fantasy Razzball All-Star Neifi Perez, Grey Albright, and myself (Rudy Gamble).
How To Sign Up
Click here for our signup page. Note any requested leaguemates in the 3rd column.
If you are a sports blogger, fill out this form to be part of our Fantasy Razzball blogger leagues.